Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7   
Biggles   03-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Keith the Elder Wrote:Are you of Eastern European stock? My maternal grandparents were from Ukraine and paternals from Poland. They all said "gotchies" for long underwear.

Slovak on my dad's side. That's where I got it from. On my mom's side (Italian) they called 'em "long underwear", which apparently is Italian-American for long underwear. Big Grin

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Biggles   03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
fpw Wrote:Okay.

I'm going to try again this AM (with apologies to the 310 who'll be receiving a duplicate).

Please post if/when you receive it.

Paul,

I got mine. Had a strange sense of deja vu, like maybe I'd gotten it before and forgotten (which would make me special like Scooter, but forgetful). Not sure whether I'd rather be special or forgetful. Forget why. :confused:

Medusa   03-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Got it now!
Mr_Falcon   03-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Biggles Wrote:How about gutchies? Not sure how it's spelled, but that's what we called long underwear when I was growing up. Used in a sentence: "Better put on yer gutchies 'n'at if yer gahn ahtside."

I'm half Slovak and half Italian as well, and I agree that is another word that needs to be used more often. Imagine asking a date to see her "gutchies" and having her wonder what her gutchies are? :p
Biggles   03-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Mr_Falcon Wrote:I'm half Slovak and half Italian as well, and I agree that is another word that needs to be used more often. Imagine asking a date to see her "gutchies" and having her wonder what her gutchies are? :p

I don't know about you, but back in my dating days I'd rather not date a girl who was wearing gutchies. Maybe "thongies". Big Grin

Medusa   03-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Boy Italians must really like those slavs. My father is Italian and my mother is Croation. But my husband is German, Irish, & Indian. So our son is a true mutt!
Biggles   03-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Medusa Wrote:Boy Italians must really like those slavs. My father is Italian and my mother is Croation. But my husband is German, Irish, & Indian. So our son is a true mutt!

Back in the 'Burgh, the predominant ethnic groups were Scots-Irish (or Scotch-Irish as we called 'em), Italian, Polish and other East Slavs, Serbs, Croatians and other South Slavs, some Irish (although most stopped in Boston or Philly instead of coming out West). Italians and Eastern Slavs inter-marry quite often, probably because they share the same religion. Serbs and Croats don't mix too well though. Too much history. Sad

Medusa   03-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Biggles Wrote:Back in the 'Burgh, the predominant ethnic groups were Scots-Irish (or Scotch-Irish as we called 'em), Italian, Polish and other East Slavs, Serbs, Croatians and other South Slavs, some Irish (although most stopped in Boston or Philly instead of coming out West). Italians and Eastern Slavs inter-marry quite often, probably because they share the same religion. Serbs and Croats don't mix too well though. Too much history. Sad
By 'Burgh, is that meaning Pittsburgh, cause that is where my father is from.
Weatherford   03-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Not gotten it...

But, then, I can't remember if I signed up :o
jimbow8   03-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Weatherford Wrote:Not gotten it...

But, then, I can't remember if I signed up :o
Well.... that could cause it to be delayed. :p

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7