Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Mick C.   03-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I have to confess, I was one of the few people on the planet who never saw any episodes of this when it was on network TV.

I've been working my way through the boxed DVD sets and really, really enjoying it. I'm watching an episode a day (or two). (I just finished season 4). This was a very well written, well-plotted, well-acted series. I love the way small plot points reappear later and throwaway characters return.

I'll be sorry when I run out of episodes. Maybe I'll start on Angel then.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Maggers   03-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Mick C. Wrote:I have to confess, I was one of the few people on the planet who never saw any episodes of this when it was on network TV.

I've been working my way through the boxed DVD sets and really, really enjoying it. I'm watching an episode a day (or two). (I just finished season 4). This was a very well written, well-plotted, well-acted series. I love the way small plot points reappear later and throwaway characters return.

Mick,
I'm another of the few people on the planet who have never seen Buffy on TV. I enjoyed the original movie on which the series is based.

I trust your judgment. Maybe I'll put Buffy on my Netflix list; it would be #237 in the queue. Yikes!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Paige   03-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Mick C. Wrote:I have to confess, I was one of the few people on the planet who never saw any episodes of this when it was on network TV.

i think you should watch angle along with buffy. there's tons of reruns on tnt

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Mick C.   03-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Paige Wrote:i think you should watch angle along with buffy. there's tons of reruns on tnt

I probably will, Paige. I kind of like being able to watch the whole series in order. That's the reason I find it hard to jump in the middle of a series with a continuing story arc, like "24" or "The Wire", or "Deadwood".

The episode "Hush" in Season 4 was one of the most genuinely creepy episodes I've seen on network TV.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
jimbow8   03-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Mick C. Wrote:The episode "Hush" in Season 4 was one of the most genuinely creepy episodes I've seen on network TV.
Scariest hour of television I have ever seen. Period. Scarier than most theatrical movies.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Mick C.   03-07-2005, 01:38 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Scariest hour of television I have ever seen. Period. Scarier than most theatrical movies.

Yeah, it really captured the feeling you get while trapped in a nightmare. The Gentlemen...BRRRRR!!!!

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Paige   03-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Mick C. Wrote:I probably will, Paige. I kind of like being able to watch the whole series in order. That's the reason I find it hard to jump in the middle of a series with a continuing story arc, like "24" or "The Wire", or "Deadwood".

The episode "Hush" in Season 4 was one of the most genuinely creepy episodes I've seen on network TV.

have you see "the body?"

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Blake   03-07-2005, 05:00 AM
You beat me to it, Paige. I was just going to mention "The Body" (season 5). I don't think it's as creepy or scary as "Hush," but it is by far one of the most emotionally powerful pieces of film-making I've ever seen. And it has no score! It has so much intense, raw emotion in it, but no music to back it up. In fact, it's probably an example of a rare instance in which music would rob it of its power. Truly amazing.

"Hush" also has one of my favorite comedic moments in the series (and there are many): Buffy inadvertently making the "jerk off" motion when trying to mime the act of stabbing with a stake. Brilliant episode. Funny that it's in one of the weakest seasons (IMO).

For those of you who haven't seen Buffy, I very highly recommend it. It truly was one of the most intelligently written shows on television. And if you don't believe me, watch "Hush." Even better, watch season 2 and wait until you get to the last episode ("Becoming, Part 2"). Gut-wrenching, beautiful writing. So few people have the guts to write anything that good for television, and fewer still have the guts to air it.

And while the movie is kind of amusing, don't make the mistake of thinking the two have much in common, or that the TV series is just more of the movie. Joss Whedon more or less had control of the film taken from him, and it ended up being much more light-hearted and less dark than he intended it. When the TV series sounds like it's referencing events from the film, it's actually not. It's referencing the comic book version, which is what the movie was originally meant to be. In terms of style and tone, the series is the way to go.

Speaking for myself, I got hooked when I was away on a business trip. I had to take classes during the day and stay in a motel room all night with nothing to do. USA Network had just started showing Buffy in syndication that week, so I started with the very first episode. It was pretty good, so of course I had to see what happened next, and... I was completely hooked by the end of the week. It got so bad that by season 7 I was downloading copies of the show off of newsgroups the day before they even aired just so I could see them early (or at all; the show would often be preempted by baseball on my local station). Man, I had it bad. Smile I'm recovering now, though. Really.

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Kenji   03-07-2005, 09:09 AM
I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer! When I first saw this series.....that was last year(perhaps). You know Japanese title? "Buffy the Vampire Killer".

I bought DVD box-set, till season 3. Actually, I saw first season on TV, but her voice dubbed was awful. If you listened to Japanese version, you will laugh. I hoped I can watch it in subtitles version, so I bought DVD.

BTW, final episode in season 3 was very good and very sad.
Marc   03-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Maggers Wrote:I'm another of the few people on the planet who have never seen Buffy on TV. I enjoyed the original movie on which the series is based.

If you're enjoying the series I recommend avoiding the movie at all cost. The best way to describe the movie is that it is about 100x more cheesy than the first season.
Pages (3): 1 2 3