Maggers   02-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I saw "Ray" the other night, and I would be willing to put money (all of 25 cents, which is about as high as I go) that Jamie Foxx will take home an Oscar. After about 3 minutes, I forgot that I was watching Jamie Foxx. He was Ray Charles for me. The film itself was good, though not exceptional. The movie stayed with me and I dreamed about it that night. Not sure what that means, except that it certainly made an impression.

"Maria Full of Grace" was a peek into a disturbing facet of the drug trade. It follows the life of a mule, a woman who swallows large pellets of condom-wrapped cocaine to smuggle it into the US. Catalina Sandino Moreno is nominated for a best acting Oscar, which she won't win, but the film was powerful in a quiet way, and she gave a fine performance. I enjoy movies that take me to places I would otherwise never visit. "Maria" was certainly one of them.
This post was last modified: 02-19-2005, 05:30 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Susan   02-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Maggers Wrote:I saw "Ray" the other night, and I would be willing to put money (all of 25 cents, which is about as high as I go) that Jamie Foxx will take home an Oscar. After about 3 minutes, I forgot that I was watching Jamie Foxx. He was Ray Charles for me. The film itself was good, though not exceptional. The movie stayed with me and I dreamed about it that night. Not sure what that means, except that it certainly made an impression.

"Maria Full of Grace" was a peak into a disturbing facet of the drug trade. It follows the life of a mule, a woman who swallows large pellets of condom-wrapped cocaine to smuggle it into the US. Catalina Sandino Moreno is nominated for a best acting Oscar, which she won't win, but the film was powerful in a quiet way, and she gave a fine performance. I enjoy movies that take me to places I would otherwise never visit. "Maria" was certainly one of them.

I saw Ray too and thought it was a very good movie with a seamless performance by Jamie Foxx. I totally bought him as Ray Charles.

Did you see "The Aviator"? My husband and I are debating whether DeCaprio's performance was better than Foxx's. I don't think it was, but John disagrees.

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
Maggers   02-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Susan Wrote:I saw Ray too and thought it was a very good movie with a seamless performance by Jamie Foxx. I totally bought him as Ray Charles.

Did you see "The Aviator"? My husband and I are debating whether DeCaprio's performance was better than Foxx's. I don't think it was, but John disagrees.

Susan

I've been trying to get to AVIATOR but the performances were sold out, several nights in a row. I'll get there yet.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   02-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Maggers Wrote:I saw "Ray" the other night, and I would be willing to put money (all of 25 cents, which is about as high as I go) that Jamie Foxx will take home an Oscar. After about 3 minutes, I forgot that I was watching Jamie Foxx. He was Ray Charles for me. The film itself was good, though not exceptional. The movie stayed with me and I dreamed about it that night. Not sure what that means, except that it certainly made an impression.

Last month, I saw "Ray" in theater. I totally agree with you, Maggers. Jamie Foxx is brilliant. He also had good performance skillful in "Collateral". But in "Ray", he played perfect Ray Charles....no, I must correct myself. He was Ray Charles. While I'm watching movie, I saw true spirits of Ray Charles. Someone would say, "That is mimic". But to me, that was not Jamie Foxx. Two hours and thirty minutes, he was "Ray".
thisisatest   02-19-2005, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=Maggers]I saw "Ray" the other night, and I would be willing to put money (all of 25 cents, which is about as high as I go) that Jamie Foxx will take home an Oscar. After about 3 minutes, I forgot that I was watching Jamie Foxx. He was Ray Charles for me. The film itself was good, though not exceptional. The movie stayed with me and I dreamed about it that night. Not sure what that means, except that it certainly made an impression.

Steve D
My galfriend say DiCapprio will take home the Oscar, but after Ray's semi-sweep at the Grammys, I agree that Jamie Foxx will get it. And even before the Grammys I picked Foxx over Leo. My galfriend has not seen Ray, and I've been trying to drag her to see it, but she prepping for Midterms. I'm pretty sure once she sees Ray, she'll agree with us that Foxx deserves the Big O.

On a side note: I am appalled that Oscar-town virtually ignored "A Very Long Engagement" as it has great acting and great storytelling and great cinematography. So, since we don't have a raspberry smiley, imagine one right after this period.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
fpw   02-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Saw Ray last night. Jamie Foxx was as good as everyone said. I was a Ray Charles fan in my teens -- pre "Georgia" -- and saw him live in Asbury Park. Seeing the onscreen Margie Hendricks belt out "Baaabaaaaay!" on "The Night Time is the Right Time" brought back a ton of memories.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   02-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Smile Jamie Foxx is Best actor winner!!!! Big Grin