Kenji   02-18-2005, 11:53 AM
This evening, I watched interesting movie, American Splendor.

Harvey and Joyce, at first I felt they are weird. But then, I felt they are very wonderful, soon. They are enjoying their life style. That's important thing. Paul Giamatti was perfect casting for Havery Peaker. He was similar to real Harvey. David Letterman show was cracked me up. Big Grin

Surprisingly, this is true story. Funny, cynically, and sometimes touching.

I want to get this comics, American Splendor, but it does not publish in Japan yet. I felt it's pretty funny comics.

Has anyone seen this movie?
Scott Miller   02-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Kenji Wrote:This evening, I watched interesting movie, American Splendor.

Harvey and Joyce, at first I felt they are weird. But then, I felt they are very wonderful, soon. They are enjoying their life style. That's important thing. Paul Giamatti was perfect casting for Havery Peaker. He was similar to real Harvey. David Letterman show was cracked me up. Big Grin

Surprisingly, this is true story. Funny, cynically, and sometimes touching.

I want to get this comics, American Splendor, but it does not publish in Japan yet. I felt it's pretty funny comics.

Has anyone seen this movie?

I loved American Splendor and thought that Giamatti deserved an oscar nomination. I was a college student addicted to Late Night With David Letterman during the 80's and I actually saw a couple of Pekar's appearances when they were broadcast for the first time. I see that my library has a massive tome of the comic American Splendor that I'm planning on checking out sometime soon.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Mick C.   02-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm a big fan of Pekar's comics and have been reading them from the beginning. I liked the movie, I thought it was interesting they way they combined the film characters with the real-life versions.

This was based on a stage play, originally. Harvey Pekar was played by Dan Castalleneta, a very talented actor who does the voice for Homer Simpson (and many others).

This would make a good rental double-bill with Crumb.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Maggers   02-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Mick C. Wrote:...this would make a good rental double-bill with Crumb.

CRUMB was fascinating but totally creeped me out. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think I could watch it again.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

ccosborne3   02-20-2005, 01:41 AM
There hasn't been a film with so many unattractive people in it since One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Excellent movie.