Kenji   02-12-2005, 07:34 PM
One week ago, I saw "The Stepford Wives" in theater. Performers are Nichole Kidman and Matthew Broderick. It's remake version. Until I see it, I didn't know about The Stepford Wives, so I thought this is comedy. Nichole Kidman, Matthew Broderick, Bette Middler, Christopher Walken, Glenn Close, and director is Frank Oz. Well, everybody will guess this is comedy. Surely, in some scenes, it cracked me up. And, I felt present social sarcasm in last scene.

And......yesterday, I saw original version "The Stepford Wives"(1974). Performers were Katharine Ross. It was not comedy. It was almost suspense thriller. I felt very chilly and weird. I understood why it's scary. This movie was based on the book by Ira Levin. Some scenes were similar to Rosemary's baby.

If you have a chance, judge by comparison. I like both movies, but I rather prefer original.
Biggles   02-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Kenji Wrote:One week ago, I saw "The Stepford Wives" in theater. Performers are Nichole Kidman and Matthew Broderick. It's remake version. Until I see it, I didn't know about The Stepford Wives, so I thought this is comedy. Nichole Kidman, Matthew Broderick, Bette Middler, Christopher Walken, Glenn Close, and director is Frank Oz. Well, everybody will guess this is comedy. Surely, in some scenes, it cracked me up. And, I felt present social sarcasm in last scene.

And......yesterday, I saw original version "The Stepford Wives"(1974). Performers were Katharine Ross. It was not comedy. It was almost suspense thriller. I felt very chilly and weird. I understood why it's scary. This movie was based on the book by Ira Levin. Some scenes were similar to Rosemary's baby.

If you have a chance, judge by comparison. I like both movies, but I rather prefer original.

Well, Kenji, it all depends upon your point of view. I haven't seen the remake, but the original was unavailable for some years on video. Then, a few years ago, I received it for (I think) my birthday. I had wanted it for a few years. I think it has some elements of comedy, some of suspense. As a male, I would classify it as fantasy. Females might classify it as horror.

If it were The Stepford Husbands, it would probably be reversed.

I can see it now: "That's OK honey; we'll just cuddle." "I did the dishes and vacuumed while you were getting your nails done". "No, Dear, I'd much rather massage your feet than watch the Super Bowl." "Sweety, you don't look fat in any of your dresses." Big Grin

No, I think I'll stick with the original. :p

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Matthew Smith   02-13-2005, 01:47 AM
Biggles Wrote:If it were The Stepford Husbands, it would probably be reversed.

I can see it now: "That's OK honey; we'll just cuddle." "I did the dishes and vacuumed while you were getting your nails done". "No, Dear, I'd much rather massage your feet than watch the Super Bowl." "Sweety, you don't look fat in any of your dresses." Big Grin

Didn't they do a sequel called THE STEPFORD HUSBANDS? I vaguely remember hearing about it way back when. If memory serves I was told it was NOT classic cinema.

--Matthew
Mike   02-13-2005, 11:41 AM
undefinedundefinedundefined
Kenji Wrote:One week ago, I saw "The Stepford Wives" in theater. Performers are Nichole Kidman and Matthew Broderick. It's remake version. Until I see it, I didn't know about The Stepford Wives, so I thought this is comedy. Nichole Kidman, Matthew Broderick, Bette Middler, Christopher Walken, Glenn Close, and director is Frank Oz. Well, everybody will guess this is comedy. Surely, in some scenes, it cracked me up. And, I felt present social sarcasm in last scene.

The second version of Stepford Wives was done for laughs. I have no idea why it was done that way. The funny thing about your comparison of the
original "Stepford Wives" and "Rosemary's Baby" is that both (novel versions) were written by Ira Levin.