Pages (2): 1 2   
L Murphy   02-10-2005, 06:36 PM
A friend and I were discussing what time of year the movie, "The Day After Tomorrow," happened. I think it started around September; She thinks it was in the spring. (The September date doesn't include the Antarctica scene which would have had to happen during our winter.)
We spent our lunch hour looking for clues and couldn't find anything definite.
Has anyone noticed any clues as to when the movie was supposed to happen? I know this is kind of dumb, but now we are obsessed.
Maggers   02-10-2005, 07:39 PM
L Murphy Wrote:A friend and I were discussing what time of year the movie, "The Day After Tomorrow," happened. I think it started around September; She thinks it was in the spring. (The September date doesn't include the Antarctica scene which would have had to happen during our winter.)
Has anyone noticed any clues as to when the movie was supposed to happen? I know this is kind of dumb, but now we are obsessed.

I had the feeling it was taking place in one of the intermediate seasons, spring or fall, and I'm leaning more towards fall, based on the clothing they were wearing during the pre-storm scenes. That doesn't mean I'm right, though.

Am I missing a key point in the opening scene? I'm curious as to why you think the opening scene in Antartica would have had to have happened during our winter. Because it's south of the equator and the seasons are in opposition? Antartica is so far south, at the South Pole, that it has constant winter, maybe a bit milder in what would be the summer for the southern hemisphere, but nevertheless still way, way, way cold.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Medusa   02-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Didn't Sam's teacher flunk him on his final exam for being smarter than the professor? When are college exams? We know it was a season that was normally warm, so what does that narrow it down to? I never went to college so I know nothing about how the final exams schedules are.

That movie had some awesome special effects!
Maggers   02-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Medusa Wrote:Didn't Sam's teacher flunk him on his final exam for being smarter than the professor? When are college exams? We know it was a season that was normally warm, so what does that narrow it down to? I never went to college so I know nothing about how the final exams schedules are.

That movie had some awesome special effects!

You are way smarter than many college grads, believe me! Finals are usually in the spring, so I guess that would be the season.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

L Murphy   02-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Maggers Wrote:I had the feeling it was taking place in one of the intermediate seasons, spring or fall, and I'm leaning more towards fall, based on the clothing they were wearing during the pre-storm scenes. That doesn't mean I'm right, though.

Am I missing a key point in the opening scene? I'm curious as to why you think the opening scene in Antartica would have had to have happened during our winter. Because it's south of the equator and the seasons are in opposition? Antartica is so far south, at the South Pole, that it has constant winter, maybe a bit milder in what would be the summer for the southern hemisphere, but nevertheless still way, way, way cold.

We have discussed most of these points.
First - I read somewhere that the only time outside work can be done in Antarcticia is in the summer - otherwise it is too cold and stormy. Therefore, if this is true, the scene would have to be during the summer. In the southern hemisphere that would be in our winter.

Someone else said spring because the son flunked a class. We listened carefully, and it never says the test was a final exam. My opinion on this is that the flunked test was the first in the class. If not, the instructor would have already known Sam's abilities. Being the mother of 18 year old twin sons, I can say that no 17 year old boy would wait an entire year to let the instructor know just how smart he is.

Another possible clue is the drive to the Washington D. C. airport. In the background the trees are a combination of leafy green, bare branches and red leaves. This looks like early autumn to me. I am from Michigan though and don't know which month this would be in Washington D. C. Besides, there are trees with year-round red leaves.
Kenji   02-11-2005, 11:17 PM
L Murphy Wrote:A friend and I were discussing what time of year the movie, "The Day After Tomorrow," happened. I think it started around September; She thinks it was in the spring. (The September date doesn't include the Antarctica scene which would have had to happen during our winter.)

When did it happen? I think it already beginning. This winter is very cold.
Flinx   02-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Kenji Wrote:When did it happen? I think it already beginning. This winter is very cold.
I have to agree. We have been having weird weather here in Australia. It's suppose to be summer here but we have had some serious storms with heavy rain, hail, high winds & some places even had snow.

For the movie, the Antarctica scenes would be our summer. For the northern scenes I would guess that it starts late autumn.

If anyone is interested in the facts behind the movie, I would suggest reading The Coming Global Superstorm by Art Bell & Whitley Strieber. This is the non-fiction book that the movie was based on.
Medusa   02-12-2005, 04:11 PM
It IS a harsher winter than normal. I mean, we had snow here in Houston, TX for Christmas. How often does it snow here? I think right now the west coast is STILL putting up with a heck of a winter storm. Actually I think parts of the east coast have too. I think its just a coincidence (I know Jack, no more coincidences). Personally I think that if that stuff from The Day After Tomorrow were to really happen, I really doubt it would happen THAT fast. I think it would be more gradual.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Medusa Wrote:It IS a harsher winter than normal. I mean, we had snow here in Houston, TX for Christmas. How often does it snow here? I think right now the west coast is STILL putting up with a heck of a winter storm. Actually I think parts of the east coast have too. I think its just a coincidence (I know Jack, no more coincidences). Personally I think that if that stuff from The Day After Tomorrow were to really happen, I really doubt it would happen THAT fast. I think it would be more gradual.

Don't worry too much, Medusa. Just keep chanting, "Global Warming renge-kyo" and you'll feel all warm and toasty inside. Wink
KRW   02-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Don't worry too much, Medusa. Just keep chanting, "Global Warming renge-kyo" and you'll feel all warm and toasty inside. Wink

I thought you were supposed to chant, "Go to a happy place" over and over to get the warm fuzzy feeling?

KRW
Pages (2): 1 2