Sangwyn   02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
...I'm bored out of my gourd at work today and so I decided to troll imdb until I had a solid list of those working actors born in 1978. (This would make them 26 back in October.)

The following actors (in a semblance of chronological order) would be eligible (given the parameters) to play Jack. (I've probably missed someone important who actually will play the part.)

Eddie Cahill (CSI: NY)
Ashton Kutcher (the anti-Jack)
Jensen Ackles (late of "Veronica Mars")
Jason Biggs ("American Wedding")
David Krumholtz (Numb3rs)
Shane West (ER)
Ethan Embry ("Sweet Home Alabama")
Joshua Jackson (Dawson's Creek et al)
David Kopp
Adam Busch ("Point Pleasant")
Topher Grace ("In Good Company")
Josh Hartnett ("40 Days and 40 Nights")
Nick Wechsler (Roswell)
Wes Bentley ("American Beauty")
Devon Sawa ("Final Destination")
Benjamin McKenzie (The O.C.)
Will Estes (American Dreams)
Nathan West ("Miracle")
Jesse Metcalfe (Desperate Housewives)
Gael Garcia Bernal ("The Motorcycle Diaries")
Cameron Douglas (son of Michael)
Ian Somerhalder (Lost)

And now, these people are eligible, but unlikely:
Randy Spelling (90210)
Justin Guarini ("From Justin to Kelly")
Clay Aiken
Ruben Studdard

but I really think if there have to be a ton of rewrites, it is one of the following two people:

Kobe Bryant
Sisqo

both of whom would need copious rewrites (how to explain Kobe's height and still have him blend into the crowd! Why Sisqo looks like he's going to break out in rap immediately!)

In all seriousness, I believe the list above does contain the potential Jack. When the number 26 showed up (not as cool as 42, but what can you do?), a face popped into my head. This person would need rewrites galore, but could probably carry the movie. I also think that Benjamin McKenzie would be inspired casting, and he could carry the darker points of Jack's personality without problem. Having said that, I'm not sure he's actually the actor in question. (Wes Bentley would also be inspired casting. Why has no one tapped into this kid like Sam Mendes did?)

Okay, you may start yelling, or just go back to your regular bandwidth.