Kenji   01-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Today, I went to see French movie, Agent's secrets. This is a true story.

Opening scene was very interesting. First 20 minutes had no dialogue. Suddenly, car chase and gun shot has begun. I thought "What? What happened?". Then, runaway man killed by a few men. And.........well, okay, that's enough. I should stop the talk. :p

Anyway, this movie was pretty good. It's like Hitchcock meets James Bond. Appearances are Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassel. Those two actor and actress are representation of French performers. I recommend it to French movie fan.......anyone else? Until now, I think nobody did talk about French movies. Let's talk about French movies! Smile
Flinx   01-29-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't watch many French movies, but one thing I do know is that the US film studios take good french films & most of the time make crappy remakes of them.

The best example I can think of is The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe which was remade as The Man with One Red Shoe starring Tom Hanks.

The Man with One Red Shoe is no where near as funny & entertaining as the original. I would have to rate The Man with One Red Shoe as Hanks' worst movie. I might have liked it if I had not previously seen The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe.
Maggers   01-29-2005, 11:37 AM
One of my all time favs is "Brotherhood of the Wolf," which is French. also starring Bellucci and Cassel, husband and wife, too (at least they were, one never knows with movie stars).

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   01-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Flinx Wrote:I don't watch many French movies, but one thing I do know is that the US film studios take good french films & most of the time make crappy remakes of them.

The best example I can think of is The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe which was remade as The Man with One Red Shoe starring Tom Hanks.

The Man with One Red Shoe is no where near as funny & entertaining as the original. I would have to rate The Man with One Red Shoe as Hanks' worst movie. I might have liked it if I had not previously seen The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe.

I've never seen "The Man with One Red Shoe" before. I know about this movie, but I don't wanna see it, I dunno why.

BTW, my favorite French movies are "Les Rivieres Pourpres(The Crimson River)", "Le Pocte des loups(Brotherhood of the Wolf)" and "Vidoc".
Dave   01-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Recently I've been watching a few Audrey Tatou films.

Amelie, of course, is the most famous, and is terrific.

A Very Long Engagement I saw the other weekend (another thread was staretd on this, sorry I didn't respond sooner), and does an amazing job of being horrifying and bittersweet at the same time. I really liked it.

And one I saw on DVD was He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not. A curious film, one that is best seen without any expectations, and very enjoyable for it.

Going back a little, Nikita was brilliant, and the Gerard Depardieu Cyrano de Bergerac was good fun.

Taxi is a wonderful ride (sorry Big Grin ), haven't seen the remake, but from the clips I think they only kept the ending.

Haven't seen Brotherhood, but it is on my list.

Now, films set in France, one of my faves as a kid was CondorMan, with Michael Crawford. Would be a bit rubbish seeing it now, but back then I thought it was great.

Dave
Kenji   01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Dave Wrote:Going back a little, Nikita was brilliant, and the Gerard Depardieu Cyrano de Bergerac was good fun.

Nikita was great! I like that movie. I saw remake version,too, but I like original.

Quote:Taxi is a wonderful ride (sorry Big Grin ), haven't seen the remake, but from the clips I think they only kept the ending.

Taxi is fun! Especially, I like Taxi;2. "Ninja!", "Konnishowahh!" What a funny Japanese! It's cracked me up! Big Grin

Quote:Haven't seen Brotherhood, but it is on my list.

Oh? You haven't seen brotherhood of the Wolf....? All right, let me say one thing. Stand up, and go to rental video store, and get that video. You won't regret it. Wink
Maggers   01-31-2005, 12:03 PM
I searched out "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not" because it starred Samuel Le Bihan, from "Brotherhood of the Wolf," and I was crazy for him after sitting through "Brotherhood" 3 times at the theater (not simultaneously, though). I liked "He Loves Me, etc." and I'll say no more. As Dave said, the less you know, the better.

The original "La Femme Nikita" is terrific.

And, of course, there is always the 1955 thriller "Les Diaboliques." Much, much better than the 1996 Sharon Stone remake.
This post was last modified: 01-31-2005, 12:39 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Dave   01-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Maggers Wrote:And, of course, there is always the 1955 thriller "Les Diaboliques." Much, much better than the 1966 Sharon Stone remake.

Was she four years old in that one? Big Grin

Dave
Maggers   01-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Dave Wrote:Was she four years old in that one? Big Grin

Dave

Yes, and she was exceptionally EVIL even at that age!

Thanks, I'll go back and correct my idiot typo!

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Mike   02-03-2005, 10:01 PM
undefinedundefinedundefined
Kenji Wrote:Today, I went to see French movie, Agent's secrets. This is a true story.

Opening scene was very interesting. First 20 minutes had no dialogue. Suddenly, car chase and gun shot has begun. I thought "What? What happened?". Then, runaway man killed by a few men. And.........well, okay, that's enough. I should stop the talk. :p

Anyway, this movie was pretty good. It's like Hitchcock meets James Bond. Appearances are Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassel. Those two actor and actress are representation of French performers. I recommend it to French movie fan.......anyone else? Until now, I think nobody did talk about French movies. Let's talk about French movies! Smile

Dear Kenji: Another really cool French movie is "The City of Lost Children".
I believe this was done by Jean-Pierre Jeunut who also did "Alien Resurrection". American actor Ron Perlman is in both of these films. He
usually plays a brutish type (Beauty and the Beast), but is a very intelligent
actor. "Chameleon" is another really cool French sci-fi/action film. I
totally gaurantee your enjoyment of these films.