Pages (3): 1 2 3   
KRW   01-25-2005, 11:31 PM
And now for the critique! This book was great! What an adventure FPW took me on in this book! I really loved the symbolism, (it's packed with it) and the bonds between family! I really loved catching the slight referance to GEM and an anagram FPW loves to do! (NO ,we are not talking about the BAD guy we all know and hate), I bought this book used on Amazon for a penny, and in my opinion it is priceless. I am soooo surprised there is no talk about this book.

KRW
Maggers   10-22-2006, 01:50 PM
I thought I'd resurrect this thread and post a comment I'd written elsewhere on the board but couldn't find. I pulled it from my own files...

SPOILER ALERT FOR “THE HAUNTED AIR” AND “MIRAGE”

I was struck by an interesting visual link between two FPW books.

In “The Haunted Air,” when Charles and Gia are trapped in the basement by the ghost of Tara Portman, they fall into a deep pit. As the dirt walls begin to crumble, Charlie gives Gia one of the “crosses” from the stones in the wall, and she uses it to create hand and foot holds in the dirt walls. As she does so, she comes across bones of children buried in the cellar. Fighting back her fear, Gia continues to dig and begins to rise toward the lip of the pit. Suddenly ghostly little hands emerge from the dirt walls and grab Gia and Charlie, preventing them from escaping. Using the “cross,” Gia slices her way through the hands that continue to multiply, until dozens of little hands are grasping her and it seems she will never get out alive.

In “Mirage,” Julie is in the volcano of Samantha’s mind. She is desperate to connect the severed ends of a bridge that traverses a lava flow and which is a critical connection between parts of Sam’s unconscious mind. After digging deep within herself and tapping newly discovered parts of her own emotional psyche, Julie sees a response from Sam. The response comes in the form of little hands on either end of the ruptured bridge, reaching out and caressing Julie. At first, the hands are those of a tiny child, but they begin to multiply and blossom into dozens of hands from every phase of Sam’s life, little girl through adulthood.

FPW is a physician, a man with healing hands. The laying on of hands is part of medical care, not in a mystical fashion but quite literally. Every physician must use his/her hands to examine the patient.

The imagery is unique and interesting, don’t you think?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Silverfish   10-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Re: hands

I never thought of that.

I didn't particularly enjoy the book, but I finished it just to see how it ended.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
Dave F   10-22-2006, 06:01 PM
The book is based in area no more than 50 miles from where I live & I have have had many a happy holiday on the east cost of Yorkshire where the book is based.

Despite this I'm afraid I didn't really enjoy this book as much as all the other FPW books.

Not a bad book, just my least favourite

The artist formally known as Britfan
Paul R   10-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Britfan Wrote:The book is based in area no more than 50 miles from where I live & I have have had many a happy holiday on the east cost of Yorkshire where the book is based.

Despite this I'm afraid I didn't really enjoy this book as much as all the other FPW books.

Not a bad book, just my least favourite
I'd never realised your location is Leeds until I read this post. I live about an hour and a half from Leeds, which makes you the person to whom I'm closest (geographically!) on these hallowed pages.
So, howdy neighbour!

Oh, and just so that nobody thinks I'm hijacking this thread, I confess that I had to read Mirage twice to fully enjoy it. But the second time I did thoroughly enjoy it!
Dave F   10-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Paul R Wrote:I'd never realised your location is Leeds until I read this post. I live about an hour and a half from Leeds, which makes you the person to whom I'm closest (geographically!) on these hallowed pages.
So, howdy neighbour!

Oh, and just so that nobody thinks I'm hijacking this thread, I confess that I had to read Mirage twice to fully enjoy it. But the second time I did thoroughly enjoy it!

Hiya, north or south of me?

As for the book, I'll take your advice and give it a second chance.

Ken Valentine   10-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Maggers Wrote:I thought I'd resurrect this thread and post a comment I'd written elsewhere on the board but couldn't find. I pulled it from my own files...

SNIP SPOILER!

FPW is a physician, a man with healing hands. The laying on of hands is part of medical care, not in a mystical fashion but quite literally. Every physician must use his/her hands to examine the patient.

The imagery is unique and interesting, don’t you think?

Very.

Reminds me of a Heinlein quote:

"Touch is the most fundamental sense. A baby experiences it, all over, before he is born and long before he learns to use sight, hearing, or taste, and no human ever ceases to need it. Keep your children short on pocket money and long on hugs."

The last sentence doesn't apply quite so much to what you said, but human contact is soothing, and soothing touch can be healing as well -- I'm sure both doctors and nurses will confirm that.

Cobalt?

Ken V.
Paul R   10-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Britfan Wrote:Hiya, north or south of me?
North. I live near a town called Bishop Auckland. My sister went to university in Leeds so I spent many a drunken hour there (and, in fact, a night in the cells, but that's another story...!) and, every year, Wifey and I tend to do the majority of our Christmas shopping there too.
Who knows, our paths might have crossed before...!
Dave F   10-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Paul R Wrote:North. I live near a town called Bishop Auckland. My sister went to university in Leeds so I spent many a drunken hour there (and, in fact, a night in the cells, but that's another story...!) and, every year, Wifey and I tend to do the majority of our Christmas shopping there too.
Who knows, our paths might have crossed before...!

I went the other way, spent my university years getting p****d in the Big Market in Newcastle. Well actually in the Mayfair.

Can't say I ever saw the inside of the cells - at least not in Newcastle

Don't get out in Leeds much these days - too many kids to deal with these days.

cobalt   10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
You are correct Ken, touch is very important for healing and for so many other things. Children and adults benefit from human touch. As do animals.

Another question since I've just finished reading Mirage. I posted this in the reading thread, so forgive the redundancy!.....but at the end of the book, where the publisher places adverts for future stories, there was mention of an upcoming FPW book called DNA Wars. Was this renamed or am I missing another book?

EWMAN
Pages (3): 1 2 3