Pages (2): 1 2   
Paul R   04-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Without giving away any plot points (I haven't finished reading the book yet) can anyone tell me whether this film is any good? I don't want to shell out my hard-earned to find The Keep mark two...
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
jimbow8   04-18-2004, 10:14 PM
I thought it was a LOT worse than the Keep. Keep in mind I am one of the very few (maybe the only person) on this site who likes the movie (granted, it is not as good as the book, but ....). I thought the Midnight Mass movie was quite simply horrible. Mostly due to bad acting and low budget. I have not read Midnight Mass, but as I understand it the movie does not encompass the entire novel.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Dave   04-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Paul R Wrote:Without giving away any plot points (I haven't finished reading the book yet) can anyone tell me whether this film is any good? I don't want to shell out my hard-earned to find The Keep mark two...
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with Jim, the movie is attrocious.

The over acting is quite comical and the dialogue is stilted in most places. The final showdown? Laughable in it's continuity blunders and time frames, but some of the special effects make up are good.

Send me your address, and if you're still keen I can send it to you.

Dave
fpw   04-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Paul R Wrote:Without giving away any plot points (I haven't finished reading the book yet) can anyone tell me whether this film is any good?

The film is based on the 1990 novelette, which recounts the Zev sequence (sans Lacey). Tony's filming of the novelette got me thinking about the story and characters again and how so much more needed to be told.

I've seen it for rent in various Blockbusters.

I think Tony did all that could be done with $500,000. If he'd had another 250k, maybe even 100k, he could have hired some real actors and the film would be much, much better for it.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   04-19-2004, 11:42 AM
fpw Wrote:The film is based on the 1990 novelette, which recounts the Zev sequence (sans Lacey). Tony's filming of the novelette got me thinking about the story and characters again and how so much more needed to be told.

I've seen it for rent in various Blockbusters.

I think Tony did all that could be done with $500,000. If he'd had another 250k, maybe even 100k, he could have hired some real actors and the film would be much, much better for it.

All things considered, the only fault I could find with it was that the actors acted as though they were acting, instead of acting as though it were real.

If that makes any sense.

Ken V.
Scott Hajek   04-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:All things considered, the only fault I could find with it was that the actors acted as though they were acting, instead of acting as though it were real.
Ken V.

With the single exception of the expert speaking during the initial newsfeed. He was truly believeable.

All in all, the movie wasn't great. However, it was better than "The Keep" as this was low-budget and didn't have the overhead of M. Mann's ego.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
fpw   04-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:With the single exception of the expert speaking during the initial newsfeed. He was truly believeable.

Whoever he was, he was good.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Biggles   04-19-2004, 02:19 PM
fpw Wrote:Whoever he was, he was good.

I don't know, he looks younger and slimmer in person. Big Grin

But seriously, I didn't want to say too much about the movie at GU-3 because I thought it might be a sore topic. I thought the editing between screen shots was choppy at the beginning (and in all fairness, I could only watch a few minutes of the movie before I had to turn it off--there, I said it). The acting was amateurish, too. You actually were the best, most believable actor I saw in the part I watched.

BTW, I got a copy of 999 through eBay a few days ago, and I read "Good Friday" last night. I had previously listened to the Midnight Mass audiobook (the anthology). What short stories, etc. would make up the Midnight Mass saga?

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Scott Hajek   04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
But, Biggles, you have to admit, a signed copy of the DVD is pretty cool... especially your "Canadian" edition.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Biggles   04-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:But, Biggles, you have to admit, a signed copy of the DVD is pretty cool... especially your "Canadian" edition.

Beauty, eh? I wish they had released it in Japan. Dubbed in Japanese the lulls in the dialogue would have been less noticeable, and I could read the subtitles or have my son translate.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Pages (2): 1 2