Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5   
Mike   01-21-2005, 12:15 PM
undefinedundefinedundefined

I just want some reassurances (hopefully from FPW himself) that the following
people will not be allowed to play Repairman Jack:

1) Topher Grace!!!!
2) Ashton Kutcher!!!!
3) That guy who plays Fez on "That 70's Show".

I am glad he said it wasn't Frankie Muniz (boy, talk about a miss cast!).

My personal choices for the role would start with Edward Norton, followed
by Kiefer Sutherland and Matt Damon. I know these guys are all in their
early to late thirties, but they fit the Repairman Jack character from the
books far better than any other mid-twenties aged actors.

On the other hand at least we don't have to worry about Keanu Reeves
taking on the role.
Gerald Rice   01-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:In my view, it's extremely rare for a movie to ever do the novel justice. The best I remember are; WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL by Alistair MacLean; SENSE AND SENSIBILITY, and PERSUASION, by Jane Austin.

The best, in my view, were PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, THE BOURNE IDENTITY, and A TOWN LIKE ALICE. But these were all TV mini-series' and were all about five hours long. I don't think one can really do a book justice in less time than that. Especially a GOOD book.

Ken V.

The Bourne Identity was a mini-series? I only know the one with Matt Damon.
jimbow8   01-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:The Bourne Identity was a mini-series? I only know the one with Matt Damon.
I didn't know it was a mini-series. I thought it was just a movie...... But regardless, there was a TV "movie" starring Richard Chamberlain and Jaclyn Smith.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094791/

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   01-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Mike Wrote:undefinedundefinedundefined

I just want some reassurances (hopefully from FPW himself) that the following
people will not be allowed to play Repairman Jack:

1) Topher Grace!!!!
2) Ashton Kutcher!!!!
3) That guy who plays Fez on "That 70's Show".

I totally agree with you, Mike. Especially, Ashton Kutcher is bad for Jack. But....I dunno about "That 70s Show", so I can say nothing.
Ken Valentine   01-22-2005, 02:03 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I didn't know it was a mini-series. I thought it was just a movie...... But regardless, there was a TV "movie" starring Richard Chamberlain and Jaclyn Smith.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094791/

That's the one!

It was four hours long, and ran for four weeks, which constitutes a mini-series in my mind.

Pride and Prejudice, and A Town Like Alice were both five hours long.

This original of The Bourne Identity was scripted in part by the author, and was excellent. I was disgusted by the Matt Damon film.

Ken V.
jimbow8   01-22-2005, 02:59 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:That's the one!

It was four hours long, and ran for four weeks, which constitutes a mini-series in my mind.

Pride and Prejudice, and A Town Like Alice were both five hours long.

This original of The Bourne Identity was scripted in part by the author, and was excellent. I was disgusted by the Matt Damon film.

Ken V.
I love the MAtt Damon version. It was updated from the mid 70s to the present, so the old script probably wouldn't have worked

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ken Valentine   01-22-2005, 03:27 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I love the MAtt Damon version. It was updated from the mid 70s to the present, so the old script probably wouldn't have worked

As far as I'm concerned, the "new" script didn't work. A good story doesn't need changing, and the original was a very good story. And as far as acting is concerned, in my view, Matt Damon can't hold a candle to Richard Chamberlain.

Ken V.
Peter   01-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Coming in halfway through, as I tend to, I can't think of any filmed versions of Dean Koontz books. Can someone enlighten me please?

Regarding films of books in general I honestly cant think of any which didn't dissapoint, not necessarily a disaster just a dissapointment. Course some were disasters as well!

EXCEPT Lord of the Rings, oh I know they missed chunks out and had plenty of time to do it in but for sheer spectacle and believability (spelling?) I think they really pulled it off.

So for the RJ film I have no great hopes, but hopes nevertheless.....

Oh, and The Keep, if hadn't read the book I wouldn't have had the faintest idea what was going on!
the Oracle   01-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Peter Wrote:Coming in halfway through, as I tend to, I can't think of any filmed versions of Dean Koontz books. Can someone enlighten me please?
I don't know of any... Was that one with the smart dog made into a movie??? But, Lightning should be... It was way COo.oOL!

Peter Wrote:Regarding films of books in general I honestly cant think of any which didn't dissapoint, not necessarily a disaster just a dissapointment. Course some were disasters as well!
(snip)
I like the Shining and, I dug Lethal Weapon. Not to mention First Blood.

But, I agree that most books get butchered when converted to film... Just look @ the Keep.

(;

-Rip

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
the Oracle   01-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Peter Wrote:Coming in halfway through, as I tend to, I can't think of any filmed versions of Dean Koontz books. Can someone enlighten me please?
(snip)
Looked it up...

Mr. Murder was made into a movie. Don't know of any others. Although that smart dog one is bothering me. I could have sworn... Damn aged-memory!

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5