Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Maggers   01-15-2005, 12:01 AM
maxplay Wrote:Does anyone remember The Sixth Sense with Gary Collins? They later would rerun episodes as part of Night Gallery. Most of you have probably seen Darren McGavin in Kolchak: the Night Stalker, but does anyone remember The Outsider? His character was very similar to James Garner's a few years later in The Rockford Files.

I'm trying like crazy to remember "The Outsider." I just know that somewhere in the late '60's I ran across Darren McGavin and developed a huge crush on him (I was very prone to crushes as a teenager Rolleyes ) and it must have been from this series. But I can't place it in my mind's eye. He was a private eye, right?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Flinx   01-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Gerald Rice Wrote:When I was little in the mid-80s there were a few shows I loved that no one seems to remember. Sci-Fi has since rebroadcast episodes of Manimal, but there were also two other shows, Automan and Misfits of Science (starring Courtney Cox and Kevin Peter Hall) that no one seems to remember. Automan was a computer character brought to life by his creator and Cursor could turn into any vehicle. Misfits of Science was a bunch of young X-Men types and the coolest one was this guy who could shoot electricity from his hands. Kevin Peter Hall is this 7' tall guy who could shrink himself and I forget what Courtney Cox could do. But anyone else remember these or have their own no one else remembers?
Courtney Cox's character was telekinetic.
Scott Hajek   01-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Automan was the reverse of Tron (computer program on the outside instead of programmer on the inside). I always remember when Automan would drive and make 90 degree turns light Tron's lightcycles. When asked why he could only drive like that, it was because he was only programmed that way.

Anyone remember "The Duck Factory" with Jim Carrey?
There was also a good swords and sorcery show with the long-haired guy from Taxi... I just keep forgetting the name.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
maxplay   01-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Maggers Wrote:I'm trying like crazy to remember "The Outsider." I just know that somewhere in the late '60's I ran across Darren McGavin and developed a huge crush on him (I was very prone to crushes as a teenager Rolleyes ) and it must have been from this series. But I can't place it in my mind's eye. He was a private eye, right?

He was a private eye and an ex-con. The show would always start out (and usually end) with him getting screwed somehow. The one beginning I remember is he was calling to complain about a bucket of chicken he bought that was all necks! I think he might have kept his phone in the fridge. Like you said, it was back in the 60's and I was probably only 6 or 7 years old, so I don't remember a lot except liking it.

Always Play the Max!
Maggers   01-15-2005, 01:23 PM
maxplay Wrote:He was a private eye and an ex-con. The show would always start out (and usually end) with him getting screwed somehow. The one beginning I remember is he was calling to complain about a bucket of chicken he bought that was all necks! I think he might have kept his phone in the fridge. Like you said, it was back in the 60's and I was probably only 6 or 7 years old, so I don't remember a lot except liking it.

The phone in the fridge rings a bell! Big Grin

Yeah, his getting screwed somehow is familiar, too. Strange that I can't quite picture the whole series, but I do have an image of that phone thing, like his pulling it out of the fridge while wearing a tank-style understhirt. It's bizarre the things the mind stores!
This post was last modified: 01-15-2005, 01:26 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

cyber-jack   01-15-2005, 06:02 PM
I remember a couple of strange shows from my youth, but couldn't give you the names if my life depended on it. These shows ran weekday afternoons on Channel 44 in Northern Illinois, (This eventually became TBS, I believe) as part of the channel 44 fun bunch or something to that effect. The show I remember most clearly was a Japanese show about a family of robotic rockets. The father was a gold rocket and the mother was a silver rocket, the kid was silver as well I think. This was long before Transformers or Power Ranger days, I want to say 1975 or 1976, but it had the same kind of hokey feel to it. The other show was along the lines of rocket man, but a Japanese version.

Channel 44 was great as a kid. Godzilla movies all the time, creature feature on Saturday afternoon, and Georgia Championship wrestling on Sunday...What more does a five year old need?
KRW   01-15-2005, 06:45 PM
cyber-jack Wrote:I remember a couple of strange shows from my youth, but couldn't give you the names if my life depended on it. These shows ran weekday afternoons on Channel 44 in Northern Illinois, (This eventually became TBS, I believe) as part of the channel 44 fun bunch or something to that effect. The show I remember most clearly was a Japanese show about a family of robotic rockets. The father was a gold rocket and the mother was a silver rocket, the kid was silver as well I think. This was long before Transformers or Power Ranger days, I want to say 1975 or 1976, but it had the same kind of hokey feel to it. The other show was along the lines of rocket man, but a Japanese version.

Channel 44 was great as a kid. Godzilla movies all the time, creature feature on Saturday afternoon, and Georgia Championship wrestling on Sunday...What more does a five year old need?

I remember those shows. I couldn't tell you the name to the robotic rockets but the rocket man you talked of might be Ultra-Man.

KRW
Kenji   01-15-2005, 09:38 PM
cyber-jack Wrote:I remember a couple of strange shows from my youth, but couldn't give you the names if my life depended on it. These shows ran weekday afternoons on Channel 44 in Northern Illinois, (This eventually became TBS, I believe) as part of the channel 44 fun bunch or something to that effect. The show I remember most clearly was a Japanese show about a family of robotic rockets. The father was a gold rocket and the mother was a silver rocket, the kid was silver as well I think. This was long before Transformers or Power Ranger days, I want to say 1975 or 1976, but it had the same kind of hokey feel to it. The other show was along the lines of rocket man, but a Japanese version.

I'm not sure, but your mentioned "father was gold rocket".....maybe, it's Magma Taishi(Ambassador Magma).

This is it?
thisisatest   01-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Steve D
Thanks for this thread, Chyme. It knocked loose a memory of an old Fox TV show that's eluded me for years. The show's name was Werewolf. It was about an evil werewolf who travels the USA, leaving a trail of destruction and creating werewolves as he goes. One werewolf, Eric, learns that to be cured of his lycanthropic condition (or full-moonitis), he must kill the original werewolf, played by Chuck Conners: here's the sum-sum I found on the 80s TV website.

"Janos Skorzeny (Chuck Conners)

Skorzeny loves to invoke fear into the hearts of others. He travels all over the U.S. creating death and chaos. He fears nothing and that especially means Eric. Although he is not directly after Eric, he will not run from him and will deal with him when their paths cross. Most battles result in a stalemate until he meets Eric in a theater holding a silver tipped spear.

Due to his illusiveness and constant moving he doesn't appear much, but he always leaves a path of destruction where he has been. He has even made other werewolves that Eric eventually runs across.

Skorzeny is evil by nature, which makes the werewolf bloodline a disease to him. After almost 500 years the disease has started to break down his human side, which forces him to wear an eye patch to hide the werewolf's eye. To effect a change he literally pulls his face off to reveal the werewolf."

The show was cancelled after the Skorzeny character was killed off and the focus went to the wimpy Eric, thus killing off the ratings as well. Great show. Good monster. Replaced by Alien Nation if I remember correctly.
Flinx   01-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:<snip>There was also a good swords and sorcery show with the long-haired guy from Taxi... I just keep forgetting the name.
"Wizards and Warriors"
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6