Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
jimbow8   01-13-2005, 10:42 AM
bkwormonthenet Wrote:I agree with Aphew also that fans will always be split over TEMPLE OF DOOM. Although I hate it, I will admit that the last time I watched it (when the DVD's came out), I had, unfortunately, realized that it was no longer the worst movie I had ever seen, which I had previously thought. No, that place belongs to scum-sucking travesties like Species 2 or Highlander 2.
I don't think ToD is anywhere near the worst movie I've ever seen, but I can't get past the rollercoaster...err, minecar chase and the raft wafting over the waterfall like a feather and staying upright the whole time. That and I just can't bring myself to care about a bunch of rocks. But that's just me. Big Grin

bkwormonthenet Wrote:And while on Highlander, I think it was Lisa who called the sequel "The Sickening," which is perfect. I know we had an extensive discussion of Highlander back on the old forum (many of us refuse to believe this movie actually exists), so I'm not trying to resurrect it here, but how in the world did this happen? Haven't the creators been involved in all the projects?

That leads me to the thought that it must be hard for FPW to make sure the integrity of his characters and plotlines are kept as he writes. Or maybe it's easy for him because he cares. Any comments from The Man himself on the challenge of this?
I think it is usually easier to maintain character integrity in books than in movies (from a reader/viewer's perspective).

bkwormonthenet Wrote:I also noticed comments about GOOD sequels. It's odd how some series can get better and some go down the drain. I feel that LORD OF THE RINGS got better with each film, culminating in an excellent Extended Version of RETURN OF THE KING on DVD which I like even better than the theater version.

Someone said DIE HARD 2 was terrible. I disagree there, because I saw DIE HARD 2 first, and I have felt this was the best of the three. Personal opinion, for sure. I know most others probably disagree.
I still think that the first Die Hard is the greatest action movie EVER! (Comic-book Guy voice) with (one of) the most intelligent bad guy(s) ever. Die Hard 2 was pretty good. Die Hard 3 I liked when I saw it in the theatre but it gets worse on multiple viewings. The water-jug puzzle still bugs me. It can be done, but not in the way that they describe doing it in the movie (if I remember correctly).

bkwormonthenet Wrote:I agree, however, that ALIENS was superior to ALIEN. However, I kind of like ALIEN3, too, but ALIENS is, yes, a better film overall. Funny, I rewatch ALIEN3 more, though. Probably because of the Paul McGann connection since I'm a DOCTOR WHO fanatic.

I also liked TERMINATOR 2 better than TERMINATOR, although all three of these films had certain good qualities for me.
I still think that ALIEN is the best, but mainly because it is horror/thriller as opposed to action.

Ditto with Terminator.

bkwormonthenet Wrote:I agree with Jimbo that Spider-Man 2 was better than the first.

Sublime said only HOME ALONE and HOME ALONE 2 were good. For me, I really only TRULY liked HOME ALONE 3. The new kid made the film for me.

One last thought: STAR TREK films. I am sure there is a variety of views out there since the series of films is very long now. But I truly believe that STAR TREK 5 should never have been made. Useless, in my opinion. William Shatner has somewhat graciously become a funny guy over the years, doing some silly stuff on Jay Leno's show, making fun of himself a lot, etc., but he directed this one. Nothing funny about having that on the resume.

Sean
There was a time when only the EVEN NUMBERED Star Trek films were good and the ODDS sucked. I don't remember if this still holds true. (Besides, I have never been a big fan of ST4).

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Medusa   01-13-2005, 10:50 AM
matthewsmommy Wrote:Actually, I think it's number 11. Matthew wants to see it. UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!
Yeah, but I've had to see all those Pokemon movies! And now they are starting with the Yu-Gi-Oh Movies! Yu-Gi-Oh-No! At 12, my son just isn't quite old enough to go by himself (rats).
Scott Hajek   01-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Medusa Wrote:Yeah, but I've had to see all those Pokemon movies! And now they are starting with the Yu-Gi-Oh Movies! Yu-Gi-Oh-No! At 12, my son just isn't quite old enough to go by himself (rats).

The only thing worse than Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh movies are Care Bear Movies. Years ago I took my younger sister to see both of them. I'm still scarred.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Richard Kendrick   01-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Exorcist 2

RIK
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-17-2005, 03:03 AM
bkwormonthenet Wrote:This thread is from a tangent discussion in the EQUILIBRIUM thread -- which was a GREAT movie. You can read that thread and see how we got into this discussion, but so far people have listed the following as sequels that should never have been made:

The Hidden 2
Highlander 2
Species 2
The Sting 2
Ghostbusters 2
Caddyshack 2
Indiana Jones 2 (Temple of Doom)

I think I got them all.

I'm interested in additional comments and nominees for the list!

Sean

ROCKY was great. ROCKY 2 was worthy. After that, an asymptotic curve downhill right quick...
saglaser   01-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Let's add the 2nd Conan movie to the list. The first one, well, it wasn't really Conan and would have been better if it didn't pretend to be. But it was a movie I expected to hate and ended up loving. A brutal ballet. #2 was jes' pathetic.

As for Temple of Doom, I'm one of those who dislike. In reality, I think it was a pretty good movie except that Indiana Jones was a totally different character. In films 1 & 3, Indy was first and foremost a scholar and scientist. He was a dedicated archeologist whos field studies just happened to lead him into adventure. In #2, he was first and foremost an adventurer who just happened to find his adventures in Archeology. I much prefer the original take on the character.
Kenji   01-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:Exorcist 2

RIK

And....Exorcist 3.
cyber-jack   01-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Dave Wrote:License To Kill is my favourite Bond movie. Yeah, the bad guy wasn't memorable, but Bond on a mission of revenge, without the backup or legality of HMSS, finally a Bond with character!

It's not the premise of the film that was bad, just Timothy Dalton...not my favorite Bond.

Dave Wrote:Fair to say I'm not really a Bond fan, but this one I'd buy.

Dave

PS The Bond girl with short hair was a bit of a hotty too

Wasn't this girl in Law and Order? I agree with you on all counts with her...
Maggers   01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
cyber-jack Wrote:It's not the premise of the film that was bad, just Timothy Dalton...not my favorite Bond.

Wasn't this girl in Law and Order? I agree with you on all counts with her...

Yes, Carey Lowell, now Mrs. Richard Gere. Love her voice, she has a unique and very interesting way of ennunciating her words. I know that's not why you guys like her, but hey....

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

cyber-jack   01-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Maggers Wrote:Yes, Carey Lowell, now Mrs. Richard Gere. Love her voice, she has a unique and very interesting way of ennunciating her words. I know that's not why you guys like her, but hey....

Come on now, I love a good ennunciator just as much as you do!
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6