InfinityLtd   04-13-2004, 03:50 PM
I forget who it was (sorry), but I have to thank them for turning me on to "The Select." I picked up a used copy and started reading it yesterday, and I'm already halfway through it, and now I can't wait for lunch so I can read some more (what the hell is up with that place? -- don't tell me Big Grin ). Thank you, Dr. Wilson, for another excellent read.

On another topic, has a release date been announced for a paperback edition of "Gateways"? I received my paperback of "The Haunted Air" today and, while it'll be a while before I'm ready for "Gateways"--I still haven't read "All the Rage" or "Hosts" yet--it just got me to thinking.

Thank you all.

Eric

Eric S. Bauman

"Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." -- John Barth

"All things serve the Beam." -- Stephen King

Paper clips: the larval stage of coat hangers.
Marc   04-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Gateways will probably be released this fall when Crisscross comes out in hardcover. I don't know if an exact date has been announced though.
jimbow8   04-13-2004, 05:17 PM
I have recommended The Select many times as my favorite of FPW's "medical thrillers." I don't know if you took my specific recommendation because I am sure there are many on this board who would also recommend it. I am glad that you like it though. I think it would make a pretty good movie, though I am not sure a movie could capture the pure emotional terror of the "burn ward" upstairs. I have FPW to thank for a new fear.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
fpw   04-13-2004, 09:26 PM
InfinityLtd Wrote:has a release date been announced for a paperback edition of "Gateways"?

No, but I'm betting next spring. Sims is scheduled for this fall.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
InfinityLtd   04-14-2004, 12:36 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I have recommended The Select many times as my favorite of FPW's "medical thrillers." I don't know if you took my specific recommendation because I am sure there are many on this board who would also recommend it. I am glad that you like it though. I think it would make a pretty good movie, though I am not sure a movie could capture the pure emotional terror of the "burn ward" upstairs. I have FPW to thank for a new fear.

Well, thanks to a normally-long commute home (about 90 minutes) and a train going out of service and having to wait for another one, I was able to finish "The Select" last night. Awesome book! I have to agree with you, jimbow: Ward C (or anyplace like it) is definitely not a place I would want to end up.

I think it would be interesting to hear what the travelling bull session would be saying if it were updated to today's environment--whether they would still be saying the same things or not.

Hmmm....."Midnight Mass" or "All the Rage" next?

Eric S. Bauman

"Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." -- John Barth

"All things serve the Beam." -- Stephen King

Paper clips: the larval stage of coat hangers.