Pages (2): 1 2   
Maggers   12-20-2004, 02:26 AM
Late in October I ordered a hardcover version of ENEMY OF THE STATE, along with several other FPW books, from amazon.com. The rest arrived, and I was told that EOTS would be shipped at a later date. Yesterday I received an email from amazon.com saying that they couldn't obtain the book and they canceled my order.

Any other way to get it? Without paying a fortune?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   12-20-2004, 02:37 AM
Maggers Wrote:Late in October I ordered a hardcover version of ENEMY OF THE STATE, along with several other FPW books, from amazon.com. The rest arrived, and I was told that EOTS would be shipped at a later date. Yesterday I received an email from amazon.com saying that they couldn't obtain the book and they canceled my order.

It's in the LaNague Chronicles along with Healer and Wheels Within Wheels.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   12-20-2004, 03:46 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:It's in the LaNague Chronicles along with Healer and Wheels Within Wheels.

OK, then I have it. I just received a beat up paperback version of "The LaNague Chronicles." It would, however, be neat to have a nice, new hardcover edition.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Lisa   12-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Maggers Wrote:OK, then I have it. I just received a beat up paperback version of "The LaNague Chronicles." It would, however, be neat to have a nice, new hardcover edition.

There are no nice, new hardcover editions. The last company to publish EOTS in hardcover was Stealth Books, but they went under a couple years ago. Presumably that's the edition Amazon has (erroneously) listed. Did it have a black cover?

Stealth was supposed to publish Healer, EOTS, and Wheels Within Wheels, but they never made it to Wheels. I have the first two and as I recall they were around $30 each. Nice editions. It's too bad they never got Wheels out as it would be fun to have the set.

Lisa
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Maggers Wrote:Late in October I ordered a hardcover version of ENEMY OF THE STATE, along with several other FPW books, from amazon.com. The rest arrived, and I was told that EOTS would be shipped at a later date. Yesterday I received an email from amazon.com saying that they couldn't obtain the book and they canceled my order.

Try (ahem) bn.com, Maggers. Friendly, helpful service! That's right! Big Grin
flyboy707   12-20-2004, 01:55 PM

Maggers, try any of the following:

bookfinder.com
alibris.com
abe.com

All three of these (and trust me, there are many, many more) are great sites to locate any sort of book (be it hardback, softcover, 1st ed, etc etc). Navigating thru them is very easy as well.

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
Maggers   12-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Lisa Wrote:There are no nice, new hardcover editions. The last company to publish EOTS in hardcover was Stealth Books, but they went under a couple years ago. Presumably that's the edition Amazon has (erroneously) listed. Did it have a black cover?

Stealth was supposed to publish Healer, EOTS, and Wheels Within Wheels, but they never made it to Wheels. I have the first two and as I recall they were around $30 each. Nice editions. It's too bad they never got Wheels out as it would be fun to have the set.

Lisa

They didn't show the cover. I figured it would have been something like the hardcover of "Healer" that I got a couple of years ago.

Alas, alack.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   12-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Mike and Flyboy. I will try those sites. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Marc   12-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Maggers Wrote:Any other way to get it? Without paying a fortune?

I checked on Abe Books (link) and found a couple copies around $30.

Added: I just saw Lisa recommended Abe Books. Remind me to read through a post fully before responding. Rolleyes
This post was last modified: 12-20-2004, 03:06 PM by Marc.
Maggers   03-09-2005, 11:13 PM
I wound up with a paperback version of "Enemy of the State," which I just finished. I enjoyed it. Can't say it's high up on my list of favorite FPW works. There are so many that I liked more, but I did like it alot. In reading EOTS, I learned more about politics and economics than I ever learned in school.

Just curious about this. The artwork on the cover shows blond, curly haired Peter LaNague crouching before a wall with a smoking rifle/blaster in front of him. The hairdo bears no resemblance, but from the expression on the character's face, the way he is holding his hands and the look of his forearms, I could swear that FPW was the model for this picture. Every time I looked at the cover I kept flashing back to Orlando and Paul at the GU 4. Am I crazy or what?

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2