Tony H   01-12-2005, 03:20 AM
EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) is the means by which the dead communicate with the living. By using the white noise from every day electronics such as television, radio, or while watching this film, A giant yawn the living can hear the voices of those that have passed on.

The theory is interesting, and I had read a lot about this (Interesting one has the voices of the dead communicating through a krupps coffee maker on Maryland's Eastern Shore)

The problem with EVP is that when listening to recordings, any noise can be a voice. And the minute you think you know what is being said you tell someone, "Listen to this, the voice says 'behind you', it's right here." Then of course everyone is listening for the words "behind you" and lo and behold they hear it because they are now open to the power of suggestion.

According to the commercials, the voices of the dead are all around us. Well I find it hard to believe that none of them attempted to communicate to me to stay away from this piece of shit.

It makes the Exorcist 4 seem like an Academy award winner. I wasn't expecting much from it honestly, and good damn thing because that is exactly what I got. Nothing.

It isn't scary, it tries to be atmospheric like The Ring but only manages to pull off one good scare and it is a cheap shot that the viewer sees coming from a mile away and it only causes a jump because seconds before it happens the viewer gives the director too much credit. (Surely he won't put a jump scare here, it is too obvious.)

Another thing the dead need to divulge is why they sent Michael Keaton back from their side. Clearly his career as of late could have spoken through my dishwasher,so why did he choose this vehicle to break his hiatus?

He sleepwalks his way through this film and has a range of emotion equal only to a can of EZ CHEEZE. I never considered him a great actor, but clearly he has some bills to pay.

The setup of this little yarn is cliche and again we see it from the moment the opening credits end and the movie begins. His wife dies and lo and behold he starts hearing her through his tv, radio, phone, computer...etc.

I can't divulge too much about this turd in a film can, not because of the abundant twists and turns but because I sat through the 1 hour and 43 minute running time and cannot make heads or tails out of what it was that I had seen. Even now, two days after seeing it I am still unsure if I even saw the movie.

It has some twists and turns, but none that make any sense and by the climax the writer has thrown so much bullshit at us that he himself realizes that he cannot figure out how to end the film and so he just does. No explanations, no resolution, a half-assed attempt at a twist and Lord only knows what the last ten seconds of the film was about.

Do yourself a favor and skip this one. Do others a favor and tell them to do the same. I will do myself a favor and get a labotomy because that is the only way I will stop trying to make sense of this movie.

Tony (AsMoral as Gene Siskel, only...alive.)
This post was last modified: 01-12-2005, 01:17 PM by Tony H.
jimbow8   01-12-2005, 10:37 AM
AsMoral Wrote:EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) is the means by which the dead communicate with the living. By using the white noise from every day electronics such as television, radio, or while watching this film, A giant yawn the living can hear the voices of those that have passed on.

The theory is interesting, and I had read a lot about this (Interesting one has the voices of the dead communicating through a krupps coffee maker on Maryland's Eastern Shore)
I can just hear the voices saying "Drink Folgers, Drink Folgers...."

Thanks for the warning, Tony. I have not heard a good thing about this movie yet, which is disappointing because the early traders seemed to show potential. The whole concept of the movie begs the question - Why would someone watch or record nothing in the first place, and then listen to the whole tape afterwards? Must be pretty bored! From what it sounds like, watching the white noise on a signal-less TV channel might be more entertaining than this movie..... and cheaper.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
stacyzinda123   01-12-2005, 10:50 AM
AsMoral Wrote:Do yourself a favor and skip this one. Do others a favor and tell them to do the same. I will do myself a favor and get a labotomy because that is the only way I will stop trying to make sense of this movie.

Tony (AsMoral as Gene Siskel, only...alive.)
It's too bad you thought the movie sucked. I really wanted to see it. It's really crappy to pay so much to see a movie and be disappointed.
fpw   01-12-2005, 11:51 AM
AsMoral Wrote:According to the commercials, the voices of the dead are all around us. Well I find it hard to believe that none of them attempted to communicate to me to stay away from this piece of shit.

Great line, Tony.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Hajek   01-12-2005, 11:57 AM
I was hoping this one would be good. I really like Michael Keaton. Alas, now, the only way he could hope to resurrect his career would be (dare we hope):
Beetlejuice 2!

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Lisa   01-12-2005, 12:21 PM
AsMoral Wrote:According to the commercials, the voices of the dead are all around us. Well I find it hard to believe that none of them attempted to communicate to me to stay away from this piece of shit.

It makes the Exorcist 4 seem like an Academy award winner. I wasn't expecting much from it honestly, and good damn thing because that is exactly what I got. Nothing.

ROTFL, you crack me up, GG. Big Grin Thanks for the review!

Lisa
Maggers   01-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I was hoping this one would be good. I really like Michael Keaton. Alas, now, the only way he could hope to resurrect his career would be (dare we hope):
Beetlejuice 2!

In an interview with Katie Couric on the "Today Show," Michael Keaton, who I really, really like and miss, said that there was a chance, maybe, slim, but maybe, of a Beetlejuice 2. He said he'd love to do it. Don't know what that translates to in terms of it actually happening.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd