Carcosa   04-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi Folks. I'm new to the forum and happy to be here. I'm curious about the planned planned edition of NIGHTWORLD in the Borderlands series. FPW, do you plan to have revised the book after all the that's happened in the additional Repairman Jack novels at this point before re-publication?
This post was last modified: 04-09-2004, 02:00 AM by Carcosa.
Lisa   04-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Carcosa Wrote:FPW, do you plan to have revised the book after all the that's happened in the additional Repairman Jack novels at this point for re-publication?

Yes, he does.

Welcome to the board, Carcosa!

Lisa
Marc   04-09-2004, 02:01 AM
Welcome to the board, Carcosa! In answer to your question I have cut and pasted from Aphew's FAQ page loctated at http://webpages.charter.net/mjturman/fpwfaq/rj3.htm:

"At the time FPW was finishing up the Adversary cycle, he did not know he was going to write a whole new series of Jack books. A few years after NIGHTWORLD was published, FPW decided to write more Jack. However, considering the apocalyptic nature of Nightworld, he could hardly set his new Jack books after that novel. Therefore he decided instead to set the books in the time between THE TOMB (the first Jack book) and NIGHTWORLD.

"This gets very sticky because FPW threw in quite a few pop culture refs and definite dates into the Adversary Cycle (which ends in the early 90s), yet has set the Jack books in our current time. Thus many gentle readers are confused mightily when Jack doesn't know things he should in Nightworld, or is still running around eight years after the world has pretty much ended. This problem has been somewhat mitigated by the revised version of The Tomb (Tor/Forge, 1998), in which pop culture refs were updated. When FPW is done with the latest round of Jack books, he plans to go back and revise Nightworld so that it meshes better with the current state of Jack's knowledge and adventures. Currently this revised version of Nightworld is scheduled to be published by Borderlands Press in 2006."

Hope that answers your question.
Ken Valentine   04-09-2004, 02:12 AM
Carcosa Wrote:Hi Folks. I'm new to the forum and happy to be here. I'm curious about the planned planned edition of NIGHTWORLD in the Borderlands series. FPW, do you plan to have revised the book after all the that's happened in the additional Repairman Jack novels at this point before re-publication?

This is not an addition to what Lisa and Marc said, just an echo . . . welcome to the board.

Ken V.
Carcosa   04-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I appreciate the responses and kind welcome. After getting re-acquainted with Jack and plowing thru many of the newer novels in the past year, I finally went back and started THE KEEP, read thru the "sequels" and have just started NIGHTWORLD. Its been quite a ride.
Carcosa   04-11-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm half way through NIGHTWORLD and I have to say taking in account all thats happened in the RJ books over the past few years, I think the idea of "revising" isn't quite right; I think a complete rewrite will be nesessary......