MarkEMark   05-13-2021, 09:58 AM
I was reminded of the website when looking for news of any new novels - Double Threat.. yay!!

As a long overdue 1st post, I'd like to ask what did people prefer about the original Nightworld? (maybe even our esteemed author!)

This is not to say I don't love the new version. One of these things had to be done to make it fit.

Here are my thoughts.

1. Carol's husband being replaced as the sewer crawler baby chow. There was something more creepy about the original. A normal, probably good guy, turns selfish understandably in extreme circumstances and decides to look after numero uno. You got his full journey. The Kicker head replacing him was much more 'deserving' of his fate and somehow made it not as powerful for me.

2. The first meeting of Jack and Glaeken. When I first got to this meeting in the Repairman Jack novels, I was very excited but then thought - hey? How is this going to work with Nightworld? Obviously, this meant that the scene was removed. It was originally much cooler to me for them to meet without Jack being an Heir (a concept which fizzles out to nothing in the new Nightworld anyway - I prefer Jack without super recovery powers.)

About me - as this is my 1st post:
I'm from the UK and read The Keep as a teenager in the summer of about 1983/84. It was the best thing I had ever read and so obviously read The Tomb and The Touch. I re-read The Keep a few times and when I started university I was so excited to see Reborn and then Reprisal on the shelves and bought the hardbacks straight away each time. But then came Nightworld! Long before the days of Marvel Cinematic Universes, I was giddy with the joining up of all the novels. It became my favourite fictional book.

I reread all of these books over the years, but kind of lost touch with F Paul's output for a long time. Fast forward nearly 20 years and I don't know what alerted me to the whole slew of RJ novels when there was still a couple to be written. I devoured all of these with the same enthusiasm as the young me, and have bought all the new books on the day of publication ever since (Kindle, but I still have the 6 Adversary Cycle novels as 80s/90s edition paperbacks. I lost the hardbacks.)
fpw   05-22-2021, 03:34 PM
The Glaeken-Jack meeting wasn't lost. I moved it to the second segment of By the Sword.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.