Returning Reader   06-10-2019, 01:20 AM
I beg the indulgence -- and help -- of FPW fans in answering the above quesion.

In one of FPW's books in the '80s there is a scenario where a woman secretly gives a male mathematican colleague, who is a recovering alcoholic, some pure alcohol. This leads to a relapse as he walking by a bar. Later, she either tells him what she did or he learns of it and he feels betrayed. I seem to recall he suicides by walking in front of a truck on the interstate.

Can anyone please tell which book this is in?

Thank you in advance. All my books from the '80's are in storage and looking at the summaries of the FPW books of that era I just can't seem to figure out which one it was. The situation was memorable though so even after 30+ years I still remember it. But not the title! Wink
Returning Reader   06-11-2019, 12:41 AM
Returning Reader Wrote:I beg the indulgence -- and help -- of FPW fans in answering the above quesion.

In one of FPW's books in the '80s there is a scenario where a woman secretly gives a male mathematican colleague, who is a recovering alcoholic, some pure alcohol. This leads to a relapse as he is walking by a bar. Later, she either tells him what she did or he learns of it and he feels betrayed. I seem to recall he suicides by walking in front of a truck on the interstate.

Can anyone please tell which book this is in?

Thank you in advance. All my books from the '80's are in storage and looking at the summaries of the FPW books of that era I just can't seem to figure out which one it was. The situation was memorable though so even after 30+ years I still remember it. But not the title! Wink

Further information in case it might help....

The woman character is, I believe, a mathematicain colleague. She falls under the influence of Someone. He builds her confidence and tells her how she is special, etc. All seems to go well at first... The bad guy is one who prompts her to test her male colleague. He intends to show her how flawed the colleague is and how he is not special like her. Besides the alcohol, I think she does something else bad, like deleting his work from his computer.

I doubt this was in an RJ novel, could be mid-cycle Adversay or a standalone. Again, I think '80s but could be '90s.

I am sure this is in a FPW novel. I may be wrong but not unsure... (Not a good combination, I know).

Thanks for anyone's help.
Tumak   06-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Reprisal
Returning Reader   06-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Thank you, Tumak!

I spent hours trying to figure this out from summaries and, apparently 28 year old memories, as I would have read this when it came out. As it is not mentioned in the summaries, it must have been a subplot.

It does seem like Rasalom to twist someone that way.

Again, thank you.
fpw   06-19-2019, 10:02 AM
(Sorry to take so long to get to this) Reprisal is the novel. and, yes, Rasalom (posing as Rafe Losmara) was the instigator

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
FreeBeerTomorrow   08-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Prime Time...

[Image: darktowergunslinger1-1.jpg]
"Control what you can control. Let everything else take a flying f**k at you... And if you must go down...go down with your guns blazing..."