Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   02-01-2019, 01:03 PM
It's true. Jack is back but Tor doesn't want him.

The publisher of 23 Repairman Jack titles says "No mas." They've made it known to my agent that they've
decided not to proceed with any new Jack novels.

I see this as the result of a perfect storm arising from a confluence of poor sales of the very noir, pure-crime Early Years Trilogy (for which I take full responsibility), plus the death of the long-time editor of the series, plus the sidelining of my long-time publisher, Tom Doherty. I suppose it doesn't help that Jack is not what you'd call a "woke" character and has no allies in the Tor editorial department
[SIZE=3]
[SIZE=3]However it will be published. Gauntlet is as anxious as ever to do the signed limited edition (hell, it might wind up the only edition) and I'm talking to Harry Morris now about the cover. The title is The Last Christmas and you can expect it in the fall. The print run will be limited. You can pre-order here to guarantee yourself a copy.[/SIZE]

A
s for trade editions, I'm looking into various options.

Why a new Repairman Jack novel? I never said I was through with Repairman Jack. I said I was through turning in a new novel every year. I also said when a story came along that was right for Jack, I’d write it. The Last Christmas is that story.

Consider: It’s late December between Ground Zero and Fatal Error, a winter of discontent for Jack who’s perhaps spending too much time hanging at Julio’s. An old contact, Edward Burkes, convinces him to take on a missing-person fix. As usual, nothing is as it seems and it turns out the missing person isn’t exactly a person. In fact, it’s like nothing anyone has ever seen.

And in the middle of all this, the mysterious Madame de Medici hires him to safeguard a valuable object. Simple, right?

Not even close.

Yep, Jack is back and, as usual, weird trouble is close on his heels.

[/SIZE]
This post was last modified: 02-01-2019, 01:15 PM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Jamo   02-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Oh wowowow! I wasn't here for years but I'm still following your newsletter. I don't know how I should feel that Jack got dumped. But man, a new book? I'm soooo hyped!!

I need to have it. I checked the pre-order link, 60$ for the book? What am I missing here? Will there be more a more regularly priced version? (that on top can be shipped to germany?) xD

But really, I am super excited. So nice you wrote another Jack novel!!

Greetings from germany,
Manuel

"Dem ago call a war a holy war...but if a war is holy....what unholy stands for?
(Gentleman)

Visit my private Portfolio on www.manufolio.de
t4terrific   02-03-2019, 09:21 AM
$60 is the typical Gauntlet Signed Numbered Edition price. It’s more of a “collectible” rendering. The Gauntlet issues have also been the “true first editions” for Repairman Jacks.

I’m sure there will be a more economically priced issue at some point. It just seems as though Tor will not be issuing it, this time.
fpw   02-03-2019, 01:16 PM
t4terrific Wrote:$60 is the typical Gauntlet Signed Numbered Edition price. It’s more of a “collectible” rendering. The Gauntlet issues have also been the “true first editions” for Repairman Jacks.

I’m sure there will be a more economically priced issue at some point. It just seems as though Tor will not be issuing it, this time.

Yeah, there'll be a trade hardcover and an ebook -- all this fall. Not sure by whom yet. Multiple offers already on the table.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Jamo   02-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Ok cool, so I will have to make up my mind if I wanna spend that and get a signed true first copy, hehe. Sadly shipping to germany is also 35$ or so, so I guess I'll just wait for the more economically priced versions. Still, such gerat news Smile

"Dem ago call a war a holy war...but if a war is holy....what unholy stands for?
(Gentleman)

t4terrific   02-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Jamo Wrote:Ok cool, so I will have to make up my mind if I wanna spend that and get a signed true first copy, hehe. Sadly shipping to germany is also 35$ or so, so I guess I'll just wait for the more economically priced versions. Still, such gerat news Smile

One day, I want to get some of the German copies. They have some swell covers. I can’t read German, but I collect things. [emoji106]
Jamo   02-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Haha nice. I really like the recent versions of the RJ novels in germany, too. Also the paper is much different to the thin American pages in my opinion. And the font. Wink

(Gentleman)

fpw   02-04-2019, 02:09 PM
t4terrific Wrote:One day, I want to get some of the German copies. They have some swell covers. I can’t read German, but I collect things. [emoji106]
PM me and I'll see if I can help you out.

FPW
FAQ
swandy   02-18-2019, 08:05 PM
fpw Wrote:Yeah, there'll be a trade hardcover and an ebook -- all this fall. Not sure by whom yet. Multiple offers already on the table.

I am not a collector, so very happy that there will be an ebook release. SmileSmileSmileSmile
SamH   05-16-2019, 11:50 PM
I'm surprised the Early Years series had poor sales. I thought they were excellent. I particularly enjoyed Fear City featuring the blood-curdling character, Dr. Moreau. I'm very much looking forward to The Last Christmas. I've missed Repairman Jack a lot and reread the series about once every 3 years.
Pages (2): 1 2