fpw   03-17-2017, 06:26 PM
So, I read a book on dark matter (Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs) and realized at the end I didn't understand any more than I had at the beginning. I felt like I was back in Catechism class at Our Lady Queen of Peace grammar school, trying to get a straight answer.

Don’t take this too seriously. Just having a little fun.

God & Dark Matter

Our galaxy is spinning like a pinwheel. What keeps all those stars from flying off into intergalactic space?
Priest: God
Scientist: Dark matter

Where is God?
Priest: Everywhere.

Where is dark matter?
Scientist: Everywhere.

Can we see God?
Priest: No, but we know He’s there.

Can we see dark matter?
Scientist: No, but we know it’s there.

Can we touch God?
Priest: No.

Can we touch dark matter?
Scientist: No.

Is God here now?
Priest: God is in us and all around us.

Is dark matter here now?
Scientist: Dark matter is in us and all around us.

So God hasn’t normal flesh.
Priest: Correct.

So dark matter isn’t normal matter.
Scientist: Correct.

Where did God come from?
Priest: It’s a mystery.

Where did dark matter come from?
Scientist: It’s a mystery.

How do we know God exists?
Priest: Without him the galaxies would fly apart.

How do we know dark matter exists?
Scientist: Without it the galaxies would fly apart.
This post was last modified: 03-29-2017, 02:00 PM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
JoeyDVDZ   03-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Interesting comparison. What book was it? I love physics, and dark matter is a pretty intriguing topic of research to me.
fpw   03-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Dark Matter and Dinosaurs

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
TinyRick   01-18-2022, 11:37 PM
Actually gravity is what keeps the galaxy from flying apart. Think of dark matter as not actual ‘stuff’ but rather a philosophical concept to explain observed phenomenon. It’s what balances the math and allows the models to be predictive, while not claiming to actually represent anything real.

Black holes were once considered the same thing until, we were able to directly observe one. Or at least observe ‘around’ one. The math said something was there but we couldn’t see it. Gravitational distortion of space time was demonstrated with an experiment during an eclipse, and 40 years later Cygnus X1 was discovered.

So best to think of dark matter as a prediction of ‘something’ we have not yet observed or are not yet able to observe, rather than a real ‘stuff’
examineeggar   11-01-2023, 05:38 AM
The historical context you provide, comparing dark matter to the early understanding of black holes, is enlightening. It underscores the idea that what we cannot see or directly observe initially relies on mathematical models and predictions. Only through advances in technology and observational techniques can we confirm the existence of such phenomena.

In essence, dark matter is a scientific hypothesis that aligns with observed gravitational effects, and it represents the unknown that continues to drive curiosity and exploration in the field of astrophysics. As our understanding of the universe evolves, we may one day have the means to directly observe or explain this elusive component of the cosmos.

Your perspective encourages a balanced and open-minded approach to scientific inquiry, reminding us that our understanding of the universe is an ongoing journey, and dark matter is a piece of that intricate puzzle. Thank you for sharing your insights.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[FONT=S?hne]Explore the robust capabilities of our Truck solutions, designed for efficiency and reliability. From powerful engines to advanced safety features, discover the perfect blend of performance and innovation for your transportation needs.[/FONT]
This post was last modified: 11-23-2023, 06:44 AM by examineeggar.