Pages (3): 1 2 3   
jimbow8   12-07-2004, 05:08 PM
http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news...etail.html

Quote:Woman Gets Threatening Letter After Hanging Up On Telemarketer
El Paso Police Investigating Phone Call

UPDATED: 11:35 AM EST December 7, 2004

A Detroit-area woman received a threatening letter in the mail after hanging up on a telemarketer calling from Texas, according to Detroit TV station WDIV.

Jill Beyer, of Waterford Township, Mich., said she received the letter about one week after she refused to donate money in a recent call from a telemarketer.

"He wanted a donation for the veterans' association, which the veterans don't get that much of that money. That's why I wouldn't donate to him," Beyer said.

Beyer (pictured, left) said the man refused to take no for an answer so she hung up the phone.

"I slammed the phone very hard," Beyer said.

The letter arrived postmarked from El Paso, Texas. The first lines read, "Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address. Many of them live in your own state and most don't give a (expletive)! "

(Full Letter)
Quote:Jill Beyer,

Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address.

Many of them live in your own state and most don't give a (expletive)!

So, Ms. Beyer, the next time a telemarketer calls and you don't want to be bothered, a simple "not interested" will do.

Your son or daughter or next-door neighbor's daughter could very well be a telemarketer. A handicapped, wheelchair-bound person could be a telemarketer. A biker or ex-con is more likely to be a telemarketer. You really, really shouldn't (expletive) with them!

As they say in the telemarketing industry, "Have a good day Ms. Beyer!"

"It makes me nervous. Obviously he's not playing with a full deck and even my kids are nervous," Beyer said.

El Paso police are reportedly taking the threat seriously and are searching for the person who sent the letter.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Hajek   12-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey, be nice. I was a telemarketer once. For one day. Actually, about 4 hours, if that. And, I really hated it.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Bawp   12-07-2004, 06:28 PM
I was briefly a door-to-door salesman (or should that be salewoman) trying to get sign ups for charity in the summer. I didn't last that long (3 days). Rolleyes

That's pretty scary stuff though.

'I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.'
Maggers   12-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Hey, be nice. I was a telemarketer once. For one day. Actually, about 4 hours, if that. And, I really hated it.

I have caller ID. If the call comes through as "unknown," which ususally means a telemarketer, I just don't answer.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

stacyzinda123   12-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Maggers Wrote:I have caller ID. If the call comes through as "unknown," which ususally means a telemarketer, I just don't answer.

I get very few telemarketing calls because I only have a cell phone, no home phone. Many of the automated dialing thingies they use don't call cell phones. Once they get you, telemarketers can be very pesky though. Often a simple "I'm not interested" is ineffective. :confused:
the Oracle   12-08-2004, 11:51 AM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:I get very few telemarketing calls because I only have a cell phone, no home phone. Many of the automated dialing thingies they use don't call cell phones. Once they get you, telemarketers can be very pesky though. Often a simple "I'm not interested" is ineffective. :confused:
That may change soon. Most cell phone companies are planning to create a white pages for cell phones! If they do, our cell phones will be fair game for telemarketing!

YIKERS!

BTW - by law, if you say, "I am not interested. Please take my name and number off of your list." The telemarketers are supposed to do so and end the call. However, not everyone follows this rule. Try it next time, it usually ends the call quickly and on a fairly nice note.

-Rip

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
jimbow8   12-08-2004, 12:18 PM
the Oracle Wrote:That may change soon. Most cell phone companies are planning to create a white pages for cell phones! If they do, our cell phones will be fair game for telemarketing!

-Rip
I hope then that they are planning on instituting a policy to refund (or not charge - or not charge incoming minutes) those minutes, or else there are going to be a TON of pissed off customers.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Lisa   12-08-2004, 12:50 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:Once they get you, telemarketers can be very pesky though. Often a simple "I'm not interested" is ineffective. :confused:

I say (in peppy tones) "I'm not interested, but thanks anyway" and hang up on them. If you're nice to them, they'll talk forever.

Lisa
Marc   12-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Maggers Wrote:I have caller ID. If the call comes through as "unknown," which ususally means a telemarketer, I just don't answer.

Or those pesky credit card companies wanting their money. I mean come on! They should have known better than to give me credit! Big Grin
Marc   12-08-2004, 01:49 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:I get very few telemarketing calls because I only have a cell phone, no home phone. Many of the automated dialing thingies they use don't call cell phones.

I got an e-mail the other day stating that cell phones were being opened up to telemarketers come January 1st so if you're not already signed up with the Do Not Call registry you may want to consider doing so.
Pages (3): 1 2 3