zantinkolas   09-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Dear Dr. Wilson:

I just saw the pilot of the new show Forever on ABC starring Ioan Gruffud. There were (at least) two clear references in the episode that hearken back to Repairman Jack, besides the fact that it takes place in NYC.

I was wondering if you had any direct involvement with the show, e.g. a consultation with the creators. Here are the references I saw in the Pilot:

1) The immortal's friend and confidant is an older man named "Abe." Abe owns a shop -- in this case antiques and not sporting goods, but the shop is very cluttered. And given that the part is played by Judd Hirsch and his full name is Abraham, I'm guessing he's Jewish (or at least was born to Jewish parents -- don't want to give away too much plot here).

2) Near the end of the episode, a cop comes in to tell the immortal (whose day job is as a medical examiner for the NYPD) that they just found the "Hondo Masamune" sword in some dead guy. Of course the immortal knows of the sword...

BTW, I'm a huge fan. It will be sad to see Repairman Jack go, but please keep cranking out that great fiction! How about some new sci-fi in the vein of the LaNague Series? Smile

Thanks,
Zantinkolas Q.
fpw   09-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Well, Z, I've heard of the show but haven't seen it. Sure sounds like someone's been reading Jack though. I'm used to getting ripped off.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
IanSF   09-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Well, they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Flattery don't pay the bills, though.

I tried it with the auto shop manager, but he still wanted money before he'd give me my car back.
This post was last modified: 09-24-2014, 07:31 PM by IanSF.
zantinkolas   09-25-2014, 12:35 AM
fpw Wrote:Well, Z, I've heard of the show but haven't seen it. Sure sounds like someone's been reading Jack though. I'm used to getting ripped off.

Unfortunately, this was the answer I was expecting. Sorry that people don't have more respect for your prodigious talent. For example, the show Burn Notice -- I mean HELLO, can you say "Repairman Jack moves to Miami" !?!
fairlane32   10-04-2014, 05:19 PM
zantinkolas Wrote:Unfortunately, this was the answer I was expecting. Sorry that people don't have more respect for your prodigious talent. For example, the show Burn Notice -- I mean HELLO, can you say "Repairman Jack moves to Miami" !?!

Far as I recall, the show is an update to another show based on the book by Pete Hamill... Never got into it and the earlier show didn't do well apparently. I think it only aired for one season... Didn't interest me at all.

P

"What seems to be the problem..?"

"Death"

"That's a little out of my jurisdiction you..."

"I want more life.....fucker."

"The facts of life.. To make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal, the coding sequence cannot be revised, once it's been established...."
zantinkolas   10-18-2014, 02:01 PM
fairlane32 Wrote:Far as I recall, the show is an update to another show based on the book by Pete Hamill... Never got into it and the earlier show didn't do well apparently. I think it only aired for one season... Didn't interest me at all.

P

I think you're talking about "New Amsterdam," which ran for about eight episodes back in 2008. That show was pretty good..no RJ ripoff elements I can think of.
fairlane32   10-23-2014, 04:23 PM
New Amsterdam sounds right.. not RJ ripoff, but Hamill's...I didn't care for it, and I don't get why they're trying to do it again with Forever...

"What seems to be the problem..?"

"Death"

"That's a little out of my jurisdiction you..."

"I want more life.....fucker."

"The facts of life.. To make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal, the coding sequence cannot be revised, once it's been established...."
Thufir   12-21-2014, 05:45 AM
The End of the World as We Know It is about to begin- and it begins in New York. The Ancient Evil comes to NYC to start its version of Apocalypse. The Evil One is aided by a powerful organization, that moves behind the scenes to make the End of the World go smoothly. One of the things this organization does first is crashing the internet!

The only person who knows about the impending doom is an old man. He has already fought the Evil One, previously during World War II in Eastern Europe. He has aged considerably since then, so he enlists the help of a small group of men and women (including a very resourceful young man) to help him stop what is to come.

The first sign of the coming End of the World is in the sky, and it has to do with the sun...

Is this F. Paul Wilson's "Nightworld"? Nope, it is Guillermo Del Toro TV series "The strain" based on his book. Watching it made me sorry that Adversary cycle hasn't been made into a movie or TV series... Still I enjoyed "The strain", it definitely has a Nightworldish feel...

Best regards, Thufir
fpw   12-21-2014, 09:40 AM
I wish I could take credit, Thufir, but you could say the same about Star Wars. We're all tapping into a traditional type of mythic storytelling (Check out Joseph Campbell)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.