RichE   04-13-2013, 02:12 PM
:loco: Well...I guess I'm now some sorta writer. A published author!..A HACK of distinction!!!.. And of course, LOL, it did get me, at one point, a reward: a cup of coffee at WaWa! Now being the type of film buff who drove my poor suffering wife to an almost chew-wasp frenzy of drooling rakashi murderous glee, by my obsessed research with an article I wrote, some years ago, on the television film, "Fear No Evil", for FILMS IN REVIEW; I risked further glares that would have made Gia proud. I decided to put my money where my mouth was, after getting a comment from a dvd collector, and EXPAND what I wrote into a full book on "Fear No Evil"!! What? Never heard of the film??

Ok! In a nutshell. There was a critically acclaimed film that was made by Univeral Pictures and NBC TV and released to the tube on March 3, 1969. It was the very first horror tv movie, penned by Guy ("Werewolf of Paris") Endore and vet tv producer, Richard Alan Simmons. Directed by Paul ("The Mephisto Waltz") Wendkos with a cast headed by Louis Jourdan, Lynda Day, Bradford Dillman and Carroll O'Connor (before Bunker), the movie was everything a great supernatural tale should be: intelligent, well acted, erotic (without being tasteless) and should have been headed for dvd immortality. Well, guess what? Universal not only lost or junked the negatives, but also has virtually NO RECORD of making it in the first place!!!. I did a investigation on this, contacting them, as did film historian, Philip J. Riley (who worked with me on this), who also did a doubletake that made the eartquake in "One Million Years B.C." look like a sneeze!
Well, working with collectors and shady obsessed fanboys (one, who happily told me how I should look into the symbolism of what a phaser explosion really meant in Trek's "Balance Of Terror"), I gradually was able to put the bits and pieces of information on this film togeather (and we are also talking about working to 2 A.M. after getting off work! at Midnight).
Now came the fun part!
My dear wife, who does my proof reading, had to now relive the joy of entering the world of the demon Rakashi, cursing me under (and rightfully too-LOL) her breath! The months went by and finally the publisher, BearManor Media, announced the publication (with the poster art I created) and I thought I would have a seller. Well..I just found out at this late date that the "Yugo" and "Le Car" sold more than my book. Thankfully, being a homeowner, I've had the common sense to retire in this venture(at least until I get another 'Great' idea of literary inspiration) So the moral of the story is that hard work, risking sanity in being creative, and getting bleary eyed from watching an equally blurry tv movie dub, will, at the very least, get you the rich reward of a fresh large cup of hot joe with irish cream!
This post was last modified: 04-13-2013, 06:04 PM by RichE.
Tony H   04-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I miss WaWa. I guess that is what I get for moving from MD/PA to Arkansas.

Regardless, any book about movies is an automatic winner and I hope you find another gem of an idea about which to write.

Maybe a whole book on Horror on Television. With shows like American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Hannibal, and Bates Motel finding their mark on tv., perhaps an expose on shows and television movies of the past.

Pieces on:

This House Possessed (movie)
Amityville: The Evil Escapes
Afraid of the Dark

And other attempts to bring horror to the living room.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
RichE   04-13-2013, 04:57 PM
LOL!! Right now the thought of writing on color strips of leather, used by eskimos, has gotton more appeal to my very feeble talent! I am actually thinking of writing a fiction work on a tone-deaf singing cowboy and his mushroom tripping Sioux friend!
Tony H   04-13-2013, 05:19 PM
LOL! Sounds like a winner!!

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
RichE   04-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Its actually a story within a story-in fact-Forrest J. Ackerman read the outline for it in 1991 and thought it was great. And, I'll tell it here, a famous 1950's monster appears in the story to keep things going. Hopefully by 2015 I'll have it out!
RichE   04-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Just got an e-mail from a collector who wants to screen, what he said, is a hardly used pristine and colourful copy of "FEAR NO EVIL" and "RITUAL OF EVIL". Gonna ck this out!!
RichE   05-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Went down to a house near Belmar, NJ and saw them. Beautiful! Bliss!!!! Like I said in my book, a screaming shame these films are almost totally forgotton and not on dvd!!
RichE   05-10-2020, 03:38 PM
Here is some Big News for anyone who cares .. of course, then again, I have a talent of running at the mouth like a poor-man's Kat Timpf on 'Gutfeld' and will settle talking to myself here .. where was I?? Oh yeah-News!! Well, if anyone has ever heard of me, I am a mega film-buff and I wrote the mentioned book in this thread. I've been, over the years, working with filmmaker Gary Gerani ("The Mega-Man!") in trying to get the original 1969 television film "FEAR NO EVIL" finally released to Bluray. Working with Robert Blair of VCI we nearly got it done but it turned up into korn soup... GAAAAAAGGGHHHH..... FAILURE!!! ... Universal decided they wanted more moola which we didn't have.... BUT!!!!!!! BUTTTTTT!!!!! A Glorious Event... Gary, in his Mr. Haney salesman pitch to Kino-Lorber, convinced the company to pull a Colin Clive and raise the dead and they will be releasing "Fear No Evil" this year with its sequel, "RITUAL OF EVIL" (Trumpet!!!!) this Fall. Gary will be doing the commentaries, supplying the Extras, and Kino-Lorber will be giving us a 2K restoration of this and some mouth-watering goodies to follow.. Now, after this is finally released I can go back to writing other subjects (sold two pieces to the National Review but they still didn't publish them but at least I got a pair of checks..oh well...) At any rate, a goal is made and I'm a very Happy Camper-Thank you Gary Gerani and Kino Lorber (go to their website to view the restored tv trailers).