revrasputin   03-29-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm in the process of re-reading the Repairman Jack series so that I can finally read the newer version of Nightworld. I'd read the Adversary cycle at least three times before, now I'm reading it again to compare and contrast the new finale. But, after splurging a little and joining this online web site, I'm reminded of the hoops that Jack was made to jump through in the book Crisscross. (That's the book I'm in now, BTW.) Does anyone else feel like the rules and agreements for this fan-site are similar to those found in the Dormentalist Church?
Tony H   03-29-2013, 09:43 PM
revrasputin Wrote:I'm in the process of re-reading the Repairman Jack series so that I can finally read the newer version of Nightworld. I'd read the Adversary cycle at least three times before, now I'm reading it again to compare and contrast the new finale. But, after splurging a little and joining this online web site, I'm reminded of the hoops that Jack was made to jump through in the book Crisscross. (That's the book I'm in now, BTW.) Does anyone else feel like the rules and agreements for this fan-site are similar to those found in the Dormentalist Church?

What do you mean "after splurging a little"? The site doesn't cost anything to join. If you paid or had to jump through hoops...you're doing it wrong.

Welcome to the forum.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Damin J. Toell   03-30-2013, 12:23 AM
Unlike the Dormentalists, we all actually believe​.
rjack_fan   03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
I just joined over at Gallifry Base. I also belong to other forums. It's like reading a software license agreement! Things here are pretty relaxed compared to many places. I can't even join an email list anymore without an email verification and one of those type what you see boxes!

But we are relatively free of spam and posting bots. It's all to provide members with a good experience.

:welcome:
johntfs   03-30-2013, 08:57 PM
I joined here a long time back. As I recall it, I provided an email address, username and password. And the "rules" boiled down to "Don't Be An Asshole." We've had a recent rules addendum that amounts to "Don't Talk About Political Stuff Because Talking About Political Stuff Can Turn People Into Assholes (See Rule #1: Don't Be An Asshole)."

So, overall, no, I don't find the rules and regulations of this site to be at all similar to those of Dormentalism AKA Jackworld Scientology.

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself. Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable." - H. L. Mencken
revrasputin   04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
What I mean by "splurging" is the actual act of joining and submitting any info online. I hemmed and hawed when my wife pestered me to join facebook. I usually prefer to observe things...this coming from a guy who years ago joined the Church of the Sub-Genius! Hypocritical? Perhaps! But, then again, that's another reason why I love the "Jack" series...FPW's mention of the Sub-Genius in Conspiracies.

Oh yeah, I feel like I need to add a quote, one of my faves and not from the "Jack" series-

"Soon you will be like me. Then who will lock you up in the cellar?"

BTW, The Evil Dead remake out real soon...call me curious.
Lisa   04-04-2013, 05:34 PM
When you joined, were you asked to agree to a long list of rules? (The old rules were a lot longer than the new ones, although they boiled down to the same thing.) If this is the case, let us know, because we should change that.

ETA: There is also a wordy set of default vBulletin guidelines, which are autogenerated. That could also be what you saw when joining.