gleeful76   12-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Greetings everyone,

whilst browsing for FPW ebooks for my kindle a few days ago I stumbled upon a suspiciously cheap version of Cold City (only $ 3,46) published by "Wilsongs" and upon further investigation cheap versions of pretty much every other book by FPW (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_1?rh...1355839901). The books have rather cheesy, cheap looking covers for the most part, but seem to contain the genuine texts. As I cannot imagine Tor being okay with FPW self-publishing "Cold City" on Amazon for $ 3,46 I assume that this is some kind of fraud, even though some of the titles by Wilsongs look like the ones FPW has actually self-published (Quick Fixes etc).

If anybody could shed some light on this matter for me, I'd be very grateful.

Kind regards,
David Rain

PS: I have already written an e-mail to FPW about this a few days ago, but as I haven't received an answer, I thought I'd post it here.
Medusa   12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
I looked on Amazon using the info you put (without clicking on the link) and nothing by Wilsongs comes up at all. Is this US Amazon or UK? I'm also curious about your wording of the price. $3,46 is no how US dollars are noted.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
gleeful76   12-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Mr Wilson has replied to my email in the time it took for my post to clear and told me, that it actually is legitimate and he has personally set the price.

Mr Wilson and/or his agent must have negotiated a mean contract to be able to self-publish e-book-versions of his current books at the same time that his publisher offers them for almost 4 times the price.

Anyways, I just bought "Cold City" and the revised version of "Nightworld" for absolute bargain prices (the TOR prices were a bit too steep for my budget and my liking).

Kind regards,
David
jerrund   12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
It looks like Amazon - UK. The Amazon UK kindle version is priced at 1.93 Pounds. My guess is that "The Man" retained the digital rights to non-US markets and can sell them in the UK and elsewhere at the price he chooses, rather than at the price set for the US release. Also, the "," notation is british (the , is used like the decimal point).
Dave618   12-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Wow, FPW is a genuinely generous man if he is selling his e-books for such a low price.
gleeful76   12-19-2012, 03:21 AM
jerrund Wrote:My guess is that "The Man" retained the digital rights to non-US markets and can sell them in the UK and elsewhere at the price he chooses, rather than at the price set for the US release.

Indeed. Mr Wilson has further clarified, that TOR only holds the US & Canadian rights for the e-book version. Strange thing is, that amazon.de (where I have my account) offers both versions - one for € 13,32 the other for € 2,68. You can see why I suspected something fishy going on.

Kind regards,
David
Dave   12-19-2012, 07:02 AM
jerrund Wrote:Also, the "," notation is british (the , is used like the decimal point).
No, we use the decimal like the US, it is mainland Europe that uses the "," as a decimal point.
crlovel   12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Wonderful, and I spent how much on iBooks? Sad
fpw   12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I use Wilsongs when I put something up myself. I keep the price low in foreign markets because I don't expect many sales of the English language editions there, but I want them available worldwide.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.