Pages (3):    1 2 3
Dave618   06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Saw this today. Visually? Stunning. Story-wise, there are some holes. Such as: Why did the "Star Map" found on all those cave walls only lead them to that barren wasteland of a planet which housed the creepy-crawlies, and not the "Engineers" home planet? Why was the technology on the ship of this film so much more advanced than the technology on the ship the original Alien story was set on even though the ship in this movie was supposedly much, much older? Why was the "Engineer" so antagonistic towards the humans? And so on...

Scott is a imaginative director and indeed has an eye for casing shots and the such, but sometimes I wish he'd get more involved in the writing process or at least hire some better writers to work on his projects.

This movie was very reminiscent of the original Alien: the tough female, the devious android, tentacles boogy-ing down unsuspecting throats (good Lord, what Freud could have made of that), the kickass ship's captain (even armed with a flamethrower ala the original) and so on and so on.

I don't feel like I wasted my cash--the visuals were awesome, and the CGI worked, and I am very critical of sloppy CGI, but I don't feel like my world was rocked. Oh, well. I've been seeing all the "Summer Blockbusters" that've been released so far and I still feel like how I felt before the season started: that The Dark Knight Rises will be the only blockbuster to fulfill or exceed my expectations. And not because of any innate love of the Batman character and mythos; more because of Nolan's artistry and talent.
This post was last modified: 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM by Dave618.
Pages (3):    1 2 3