Weatherford   04-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Back in the early seventies, I caught some "movie" on the NY Channel 5 (don't remember the call letters). It felt like it should have been on PBS - as it was definitely unusual. But I, not being a movie person, have absolutely NO idea what it was, even though I remember parts to this day.

I'd say it was B&W - but then, that's the only TV we had, so who knows
Smile The filming was very much more like a play than a movie - and it felt sci-fi'ish, though, it looked "modern day." (OK, my memory may be fading...)

There was a group of "older" people who had been sent to an island to live (and I don't remember if it was because they were older or because they were all artists of some sort.) The state was expected to come to "put them down" (my term) because of their old age, but they chose suicide.

That's all I remember
- does ANYONE know this play/movie? If ANYONE can figure it out, I'd think it would be this crowd!! Big Grin Is it based on Huxley or Kafka? Please help!! THANKS!!!
Keith the Elder   04-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Weatherford Wrote:Back in the early seventies, I caught some "movie" on the NY Channel 5 (don't remember the call letters). It felt like it should have been on PBS - as it was definitely unusual. But I, not being a movie person, have absolutely NO idea what it was, even though I remember parts to this day.

I'd say it was B&W - but then, that's the only TV we had, so who knows
Smile The filming was very much more like a play than a movie - and it felt sci-fi'ish, though, it looked "modern day." (OK, my memory may be fading...)

There was a group of "older" people who had been sent to an island to live (and I don't remember if it was because they were older or because they were all artists of some sort.) The state was expected to come to "put them down" (my term) because of their old age, but they chose suicide.

That's all I remember
- does ANYONE know this play/movie? If ANYONE can figure it out, I'd think it would be this crowd!! Big Grin Is it based on Huxley or Kafka? Please help!! THANKS!!!

It sounds reminiscent of the story of Masada

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
Weatherford   04-20-2012, 05:09 PM
My memory is more modern, and they were on an Island.

I would have seen this in the early 70's, too...

Someone will figure it out, I hope!
This post was last modified: 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM by Weatherford.
Dave618   04-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Are you sure you're not talking about Zardoz?

That was a 70's film starring Sean Connery. It was Sci-Fi/fantasy, and featured a bunch of Immortals who grew so bored with living forever some commited suicide.
The Mad American   04-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Or maybe Logan's Run? That sounds kind of like the story line you mention although I don't think there was an island.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Tony H   04-21-2012, 12:10 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Or maybe Logan's Run? That sounds kind of like the story line you mention although I don't think there was an island.

It sounds a little bit like "On the Beach" with Anthony Perkins, Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck. In that, it is shortly after WWIII and radiation from the war has spread across the world killing most of the inhabitants except for a handful of people residing on the beach in Australia.

The Government has issued them suicide pills because word has it the deadly radiation is arriving on the shore soon, and the pills are supposed to prevent a horrible death by killing them peacefully.

Not all inhabitants are behind the great pill plan and question if the radiation is even coming. It was quite dramatic, especially the ending. It was a film that was made in 1959.

Not sure if that is it or not, but it was about suicide and was on a beach, it took place in the near future and was in black and white.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious