Pages (2): 1 2   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
They've got the radio on in my Village internet cafe.
And Levon Helm has died of throat cancer.
Met him once after a concert with Rick Danko at the Bottom Line in the Village.
Real nice, real approachable guy.
I'd roared out a request during the show, STAGE FRIGHT!
The musicians looked at each other. Rick shook his head, no.
Then they sang KING HARVEST.
And after the show, I made my way backstage. (My rap to the bouncers is, "Oh, please, man. I came from Mars to see these guys." Laughter. "Go ahead, man.")
And I asked Levon, "Did you hear my request, Levon ?"
"I heard you, son. I think everybody heard you."
"So how come you didn't play it?"
"Well, we hadn't rehearsed it. But we did play a Band song for you. Hey, it's time for the afterparty. Wanna join us backstage for a beer?"
I did not say no.
Dave618   04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
I share your sorrow, Bluesman.

The Band was a huge influence on my own music and a pivotal band in general in the history of rock.

Three legends gone:

Richard Manuel.

Rick Danko (one of my ALL TIME favorite vocals on ANY song was "It Makes No Difference").

Levon Helm.
Tony H   04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
This is sad news. I knew his time was near based on reports from his family that he was in the final stages of his long battle.

(Side note, I moved the thread from the main RJ forum to the Entertainment thread).

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Fenian1916   04-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Tony H Wrote:(Side note, I moved the thread from the main RJ forum to the Entertainment thread).

You're so rude

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Tony H   04-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Fenian1916 Wrote:You're so rude

Rude is my middle name.

(Actually, it's Michael, but Rude is shorter)

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Dave. One of my favorite memories is sneaking upstage at the Bottom Line when The Band (without Robertson) were playing, (same show) and seeing a green plastic garbage can filled with ice and Heinekens. And I thought, "Well, I have all The Band's albums, so I will have one of their beers." And who walks in but master organ player Garth Hudson. We had a little talk about how best to learn to play the organ. (His advice--learn piano first.) "Well, it's showtime, Michael." And it was a great show. At the intermission, Richard Manuel passed me, and I patted his back and said, "Great set, man." He smiled and replied, "Thanks, man." And later I hit the afterparty at Levon Helm's invitation. Real nice guys. Nothing stuck-up about them at all.
This post was last modified: 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Dave618   05-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Great story, Bluesman. I love Garth's playing, he is one of my all time favorite keyboard players. His synth work on Acadian Driftwood is jaw dropping. Proved that in the right hands a synth could have a place in that style of blues-folk-rock. And the clavinet on Cripple Creek-- legendary. I wish I could have seen them live; I was lucky enough to see a lot of my musical heroes live but I was born too late to catch them. I always thought they'd be attitude-free, they just don't seem the type to put on that rock star persona, glad to see I was correct.
PicardRex   05-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Tony H Wrote:Rude is my middle name.

(Actually, it's Michael, but Rude is shorter)

Please forgive me, I mean this in jest only.

Ravishing Rick Rude?
[Image: rude2_39684.jpg]
Tony H   05-21-2012, 02:40 PM
PicardRex Wrote:Please forgive me, I mean this in jest only.

Ravishing Rick Rude?
[Image: rude2_39684.jpg]

And welcome to the fold of people who can make fun of me without me banning them. Smile

Certified 100% Serious
PicardRex   05-21-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm just glad you took it the way I intended, you have a cool sense of humor.
Pages (2): 1 2