Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Alvin Fox   11-16-2011, 10:07 AM
And sometimes it blows up when an inspiration isn't credited and doesn't want the credit, but points it out anyway.
Sigokat   11-16-2011, 10:10 AM
huh?

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Marc   11-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm in the camp that there are no original ideas and/or themes, only new ways of presenting them. Is it possible someone in Hollywood ripped off Paul? Yeah. Maybe. But is it also possible someone came up with a similar idea either on their own? Also possible. Or here is a third option: perhaps someone read Masque and when working on Fringe they subconsciously brought in those ideas. I think that's much more likely than blatantly ripping off Paul's work.

There is a great series of videos called Everything is a Remix. Here are the first three parts.

[video=vimeo;14912890]http://vimeo.com/14912890[/video]

[video=vimeo;19447662]http://vimeo.com/19447662[/video]

[video=vimeo;25380454]http://vimeo.com/25380454[/video]
Scott Miller   11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I did say that it was pretty blatant in this case. I just think its hard to prove and makes the accuser seem like an ass.

Just to clarify I'm not saying that FPW looks like an ass in this situation(I actually think ts justified in this case), but I think that should he go public with an accusation that that is how he may be perceived. I think ultimately it would be ideal to at least acknowledge where the idea came from much like he credited Kim Newman with the idea of a 'get' from Midnight Mass.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Can't agree, my brother. Everytime a fictioneer puts pen to paper, a new ah-deer is found.

Let's say, for example, the ants and bees WAKE UP! and duke it out for the dominion of Earth...

(YOU WROTE THAT YOURSELF, FOOL. YOUR WRITING TEACHER, NANCY KRESS, ADVISED YOU TO DO WHAT YOU DO BEST. WASHING DISHES.--DR. ROMA)
Sigokat   11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Can't agree, my brother. Everytime a fictioneer puts pen to paper, a new ah-deer is found.

That's BS, Mike. Because it is was true than plagarism would be non-existent and we all know that is not the case.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Well, that's true of =conscious= plagarism, sig. And those who practice it are beneath contempt, in this lyric-writin' guy's opinion.

But 2 (or more!) authors can come up with similar ah-deers at the same time. Check out, for example, Paul's novels and the similar work of P. Frank Winslow. (I think Winslow handles the hard-core erotic scenes better. My girlfriend Jennifer might not agree. She throws Winslow's books at me before we turn the lights out.)
This post was last modified: 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Ken Valentine   11-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Just to clarify I'm not saying that FPW looks like an ass in this situation(I actually think ts justified in this case), but I think that should he go public with an accusation that that is how he may be perceived. I think ultimately it would be ideal to at least acknowledge where the idea came from much like he credited Kim Newman with the idea of a 'get' from Midnight Mass.
It wasn't an idea, it was the word "get." And as far as that goes, I first heard it used that way when I was a kid -- pests and varmints didn't have offspring, they had "get."
Sigokat   11-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well, that's true of =conscious= plagarism, sig. And those who practice it are beneath contempt, in this lyric-writin' guy's opinion.

But 2 (or more!) authors can come up with similar ah-deers at the same time. Check out, for example, Paul's novels and the similar work of P. Frank Winslow. (I think Winslow handles the hard-core erotic scenes better. My girlfriend Jennifer might not agree. She throws Winslow's books at me before we turn the lights out.)

Nice try, Mike.

Major K

Scott Miller   11-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Can't agree, my brother. Everytime a fictioneer puts pen to paper, a new ah-deer is found.

I do think you can certainly come up with fresh takes on old ideas but by and large I feel that most stories have been told.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4