Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Jpane001   10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Good evening. Just had a fun thought I would like to share.
Glaeken, Rasalom and the Lady are all around 15,000 years old, correct?

And the three of them were part of the First Age, correct?

We all agree there was a Great Cataclysm that wiped out everything from that age with the exception of some special materials.

I know none of the books have ever mentiones dinosaurs before, and we have to assume dinosaurs existed in Jack's world, but how were we able to discover dinosaur bones millions of years ago when a bunch of history was wiped out only 15,000 years ago?

Just a thought, I think my facts are mostly accurate?

Good evening.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Howdy, JPANE001. Good question but didn't dem bones exist during the First Age? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Dave   10-18-2011, 06:57 AM
As I understand fossilization, which is how the dinosaur bones have remained for us to discover, it takes certain conditions and a lot of time to take effect. Dinosaurs were during a time when no civilisations existed, so no conscious development. Bodies lay where they died, nothing was reused.

Human civilisation on the other hand is constantly developing on top of what existed previously and reusing anything that would last a long time, so not much would be left alone long enough to become fossilized. There is evidence of civilisations from that long ago, but not much, and the theories that have come out of those findings are just that, theoretical.

However, arguably, the legends and myths from those times have remained and either formed the basis of religious stories (eg Noah's flood) or the mysteries that have fascinated for millenia (eg Atlantis).

Paul's 'First Age' has really only been hinted at, Demonsong being the only story set there. From what I understood, it was a time of great power, but that power was magical by nature, not industrial.
nonquixote   10-18-2011, 07:45 AM
The earth and most of the biosphere obviously survived the cataclysm, so my guess is that the great cataclysm traumatized the earth, but mostly eradicated the things based in the technology of the First Age, i.e. what we would now consider magic. Kind of like how the noosphere is based in large part on our current technology and was almost destroyed when the communications net was taken down, while the rest of modern earth experienced little immediate harm.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Crimson King   10-21-2011, 10:59 AM
The First Age was called The First Age of Man. I believe humans popped up around 256 million years ago, and I believe the First Age implies we became conscious and evolved then the cataclysm reset us.

I really, really, really would love a book that cover Rasalom's life from First Age birth to being trapped in The Keep.
Tony H   10-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I have nothing of value to add here. I just wanted to say that I like Nonquixote's explanation as it ties the events of the past to the events of the present. It seems more plausible that way.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Scott Miller   10-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Tony H Wrote:I have nothing of value to add here.

When do you ever?

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Tony H   10-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:When do you ever?

No this mother effer dih'int!

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Scott Miller   10-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Tony H Wrote:No this mother effer dih'int!

Were you waving your finger when you typed this? And its cool, I'm an empty calorie too.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Tony H   10-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes. And weaving my head from side to side.

Certified 100% Serious
Pages (3): 1 2 3