Pages (2): 1 2   
Sigokat   10-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm tired of receiving broken and scratched DVDs and I'm thinking of switching to a different service. Over the last 2 months about every other DVD I get in the mail has been scratched or outright cracked in half and the scratched ones always freeze up. Last night we were trying to watch Inglorious Basterds and about half way throw it locked up so bad and skipped that I said "fuck it" and turned it off. I know its not my player because not one of my DVDs ever skips (because I take care of my things). And its seems to have gotten alot worse since I moved here. So maybe its the distribution center not checking on or refurbishing the DVDs, I don't know.

I also want to know how the fuck people (consumers) manage to fuck up and scratch DVDs so bad. I mean you'd swear some people rub the DVDs in fucking kitty litter before returning them. Another reason to add to my list of why I hate people.

So is Blockbuster any better? I don't do streaming media because I don't want to have to pay for another modem in my house.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
cobalt   10-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I've heard Blockbuster is cheaper and faster. We're looking into switching as well. We stopped streaming when Netflix did that split bill thing for DVD/streaming.

EWMAN
Medusa   10-03-2011, 09:55 AM
We dropped the DVD portion of Netflix and only keeping the streaming only . . . for now. I'm waiting for DISH to do their Blockbuster thing to check it out. Then I may switch to them.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
Medusa   10-03-2011, 09:57 AM
SigoKitty Wrote:I'm tired of receiving broken and scratched DVDs and I'm thinking of switching to a different service. Over the last 2 months about every other DVD I get in the mail has been scratched or outright cracked in half and the scratched ones always freeze up. Last night we were trying to watch Inglorious Basterds and about half way throw it locked up so bad and skipped that I said "fuck it" and turned it off. I know its not my player because not one of my DVDs ever skips (because I take care of my things). And its seems to have gotten alot worse since I moved here. So maybe its the distribution center not checking on or refurbishing the DVDs, I don't know.

I also want to know how the fuck people (consumers) manage to fuck up and scratch DVDs so bad. I mean you'd swear some people rub the DVDs in fucking kitty litter before returning them. Another reason to add to my list of why I hate people.

So is Blockbuster any better? I don't do streaming media because I don't want to have to pay for another modem in my house.

Do you have a router on your computer? And do you have a video game system? (Wii, Xbox, PS3?). We thought we'd have to buy something too but a friend told me we could run it thru the Wii. Their website stepped us thru it and its great!

Veronica
Sigokat   10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I have an XBox 360 but dont have the XBox live set up (I only play online games on the computer). I do have a wireless router but I have to get it fixed because when I installed the last windows pack update on the computer it knocked out the router. I didn't know if you could use the wireless router thru the XBox though. I'll check that out. Thanks, Veronica

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
LolaRennt   10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Weird...I've very rarely received a scratched or broken DVD from Netflix. My boyfriend is with Blockbuster, and it seems like he gets broken or scratched DVDs on a regular basis. I also tend to have decent turnaround time with Netflix - if I mail something today (Monday), they get it tomorrow and I get a new movie on Wednesday. The only way that Blockbuster is faster is if my boyfriend can find a Blockbuster store and switch movies in the store. But he has to find a store that's still open and has a halfway decent selection.

The few times that Netflix has screwed up on delivery, they've sent me an "extra" movie...so I get 4 out at a time instead of 3 because of their mistake.

Maybe the distribution centers in my area just rock...

LR

Why do I always do this to myself???
Medusa   10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I've hardly gotten any bad or missing DVD's and agree with Lola Rennt, they always give me an extra the few times it does happen. But the rates keep going up. If I get just streaming its $9 a month. When I add the 1 DVD out at a time I pay $17. When we were watching all the time and could go thru 6-8 DVD's a month it was a great deal. But lately it seems we'll have the DVD for a week or 2 before we can watch it. Also I have to admit I liked having both my Que's on the same website. It was convenient.

Veronica
The Mad American   10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
We used to have the same problems with the DVDs from Netflix. We used to get out DVDs either from Portland or Salt Lake distribution centers but now they opened a distribution center here locally and we no longer have any issues.

It was so bad we bought a DVD/CD refurbishing machine and would just run them through it here at home when we would get a DVD. Lately it hasn't been an issues.

I have been looking for an alternative to Netflix though, with the price hikes recently only being the tip of the iceberg in my opinion (After they renegotiate with the studios I see more price hikes coming). I have yet to find one that has me sold on jumping ship though.

I do hope with Amazon announcing their next generation Kindles, that include the Kindle Fire tablet that Amazon will become a bigger player and create a service that isn't ala' carte.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Karithna   10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
We dumped the disks also, but we came up with a new problem. We stream so much now (between kids and grownups) that we use all our alotted bandwidth every month, and ATT wants to charge us $10 for every extra 50 gig. We had to lower our streaming quality and revisit our old dvds just to save moola.

I still think that Roku is a decent alternative to netflix. I find plenty of content, but still have to limit how much I watch. That's probably a good thing, though.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
Karithna   10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Also, I don't care how good blockbuster pretends to be. They lost my business years ago and can suck it!!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
Pages (2): 1 2