Pages (2): 1 2   
chickybubs   09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone.

Am looking for suggestions on some reading material. I am a HUGE FPW fan and have read the adversary cycle and all available Jack books so many times I could probably tell you them word for word, I also enjoy Jim Butcher, Douglas Adams and Terry pratchett but am currently out of new books to read and am looking for other authors to try out.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated folks Big Grin
rjack_fan   09-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Have you read any Kim Newman? The Diogenes Club short story collections are fantastic, and I recently read Anno Dracula and loved it. I'm glad I have a few more books by him that I tracked down a while back, he is a little hard to find over here.
Medusa   09-01-2011, 08:52 PM
J.A. Konrath. He writes some awesome horror and a great series about a lady cop named Jack Daniels.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
chickybubs   09-02-2011, 06:45 AM
thanks folks will give them a try Big Grin
Kenji   09-03-2011, 04:40 AM
chickybubs Wrote:Hi everyone.

Am looking for suggestions on some reading material. I am a HUGE FPW fan and have read the adversary cycle and all available Jack books so many times I could probably tell you them word for word, I also enjoy Jim Butcher, Douglas Adams and Terry pratchett but am currently out of new books to read and am looking for other authors to try out.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated folks Big Grin

Scott Mariani's Ben Hope series. He's British RJ. Cool
DannyC   12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
[SIZE=4]I hope this flagrant self-promotion isn't forbidden here... I already feel dirty, dirty, dirty doing such a thing on FPW's hallowed ground. Melody by Dan Cooke (me) is a vampire story with a few laughs and a lot of blood. There's a snippet review on Amazon. If I may toot my own horn, the story delivers.
More along the lines of Adams & Pratchett, I'd suggest Cosmic Banditos by Allan Weisbecker (UPI says it outgonzos Hunter S. Thompson) and The Wrestler's Cruel Study by Stephen Dobyns. For delicious horror, I loved The Mantra by Dmitry Radyshevsky -- there I feel somewhat less sullied.
[/SIZE]
Tony H   12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
DannyC Wrote:[SIZE=4]I hope this flagrant self-promotion isn't forbidden here... I already feel dirty, dirty, dirty doing such a thing on FPW's hallowed ground. Melody by Dan Cooke (me) is a vampire story with a few laughs and a lot of blood. There's a snippet review on Amazon. If I may toot my own horn, the story delivers.
More along the lines of Adams & Pratchett, I'd suggest Cosmic Banditos by Allan Weisbecker (UPI says it outgonzos Hunter S. Thompson) and The Wrestler's Cruel Study by Stephen Dobyns. For delicious horror, I loved The Mantra by Dmitry Radyshevsky -- there I feel somewhat less sullied.
[/SIZE]

We don't frown on people pimping their wares here. Clearly, if you signed up for the sole purpose of promoting your work we would hang you high from a tree, alas, you have already contributed to discussion so we will allow it. I will check it out today and purchase a copy when I get paid. we have lots of creative types on the forum, glad to have you amongst them.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
DannyC   12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Many thanks, Tony. Between the warm welcome, the fun forum reading, Space Invaders, and of course FPW, I've found a little slice of heaven.
Carole   12-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi--my name is Carole and I'm new here--but have read all the Jack books and loved them. You asked for suggestions on books and since you liked Jack--you might try the Pendergast series written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child--they are on the weird side in a different way but really good--I've read all of them!
Karithna   12-08-2011, 01:05 AM
Whenever I'm in to mood for some good ol' pulp horror, I reach for Graham Masterton. I really dig his older stuff: The Manitou, Wells of Hell, or Pariah. I recently had a Mastertonfest. If you've never read him, you'll probably find him very Lovecraft inspired.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
Pages (2): 1 2