Sigokat   08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Has anyone read the short story "Mute" by Gene Wolfe? It was one of the stories in the collection called Wastelands that I am reading right now and it confused the hell out of me. I mean, I think I got what it was trying to say, but I'm not sure at all. I've searched the internet for other reviews, but there's not alot out there that I found.

So, has anyone here read it and if so, what is your take on the story?

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
cobalt   08-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Is that the story where a brother and sister were on a bus and then in this weird house?

EWMAN
Sigokat   08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
cobalt Wrote:Is that the story where a brother and sister were on a bus and then in this weird house?

yes

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
cobalt   08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I didn't get it the first time I read it...not sure I got it the second time either. [SPOILER] I thought they were stuck in the TV. And the end bothered me....kid touchers...ugh[/SPOILER]

EWMAN
Sigokat   08-09-2011, 01:15 PM
cobalt, I didn't get that feeling, but I've read in the few reviews I found that other people thought that way as well. And yeah the ending...that's what I thought was happening, but wasn't sure. Kind of ruined the story, completely unnecessary and distrubing.

Major K

cobalt   08-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I had to remind myself what the story was about....I looked it up on Amazon.....and then remembered how it took me a couple of read throughs to understand what was being played out. At first I thought they were dead....or just the brother was dead.

EWMAN
Fenian1916   08-09-2011, 02:55 PM
[video=youtube;4FOQNuKcf7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FOQNuKcf7s[/video]

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
cobalt   08-09-2011, 02:56 PM
You guys love that movie.

EWMAN
DaveStrorm   08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Well it has Elisabeth Shue. That's all it needs. :becky: