Kenji   07-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Has anyone seen this show?

Since last week I'm watching this TV series on cable channel. This...is...AMAZING show and I was stunned! It looks like "LOST" + "Flashforward".

The Event is an emotional, high-octane conspiracy thriller. Sean Walker is a man who investigates the mysterious disappearance of his fiance, Leila, and begins to expose the biggest cover-up in U.S. history.

I want to know about this show, so I checked this on imdb, but I found this show has been cancelled! Why?!?!
Marc   07-30-2011, 05:32 PM
It's because it didn't really go anywhere, and there was a huge mid-season break. I think most people had forgotten about it once it came back.
Kenji   07-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Marc Wrote:It's because it didn't really go anywhere, and there was a huge mid-season break. I think most people had forgotten about it once it came back.

Oh, I see. Hmm.....

Ah......, what is "mid-season break"? I've never heard that word before.
Tony H   07-30-2011, 05:57 PM
A midseason break is when a show airs half of its season then takes a hiatus for a few weeks/months then comes back on the air to finish its season.

It became popular after the writer's strike but actually harms shows that could be good. The trick to successfully having a mid-season break is to wrap up all storylines prior to the break and when the show returns start another storyline. That way if the show gets canceled at mid season there is a sense of closure.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Lisa   07-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Kenji, it might help to understand that there are specific "sweeps" months in U.S. television. These months are November, February, and May. These are traditionally considered the months when the most viewers tune in to TV, so shows typically air their most exciting episodes during this time in an effort to attract more viewers. The midseason break occurs between November and February, when the networks think not a lot of people are watching TV. They will usually put on shows called "midseason replacements" during this time--these are the shows that they didn't think were good enough to go in the fall (September, start of new TV season) lineup but are willing to take a risk on during the "slow" time of the TV year.
Kenji   07-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Tony H Wrote:A midseason break is when a show airs half of its season then takes a hiatus for a few weeks/months then comes back on the air to finish its season.

It became popular after the writer's strike but actually harms shows that could be good. The trick to successfully having a mid-season break is to wrap up all storylines prior to the break and when the show returns start another storyline. That way if the show gets canceled at mid season there is a sense of closure.

Lisa Wrote:Kenji, it might help to understand that there are specific "sweeps" months in U.S. television. These months are November, February, and May. These are traditionally considered the months when the most viewers tune in to TV, so shows typically air their most exciting episodes during this time in an effort to attract more viewers. The midseason break occurs between November and February, when the networks think not a lot of people are watching TV. They will usually put on shows called "midseason replacements" during this time--these are the shows that they didn't think were good enough to go in the fall (September, start of new TV season) lineup but are willing to take a risk on during the "slow" time of the TV year.

Ah, I understood. Thanks.

After all they're manipulating viewers, aren't they? :eyebrows:
Auskar   07-31-2011, 02:36 PM
I think a lot of people lost patience with shows where something "huge, mysterious, and unexplained" happened. Writers could go anywhere, as long as they kept an audience. I quit watching Lost, for example, but tuned in to see the end, at least in reruns. It had such a trite ending that no magazine, e-zine, or publisher would have accepted it if they knew, in advance, how the story ended.

TerrLight.com, is where I can spout off about anything. Visit. Link.
Kenji   12-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Last week finished "The Event". Is that really end...? Damned mid-season break! :mad:

I want to see season2...