Pages (3):    1 2 3   
cobalt   07-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Am I the only one that wants to see Cowboys and Aliens? Hell...just for Daniel Craig it's worth it.....oh...and if he takes his shirt off...all the better. Does that sound sexist? Yeah...so...

EWMAN
t4terrific   07-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:While I'm all for new, original movies we can't forget without remakes we would have no JC's The Thing or Cronenberg's The Fly which are both among my favorite movies of all time.

We also wouldn't have The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Escape From New York is a movie that I dearly love. It can be remade far better, but it still wouldn't be as good. Much of what was so great about the original is stuff that would be removed, or changed in a remake, to make it "better".
t4terrific   07-22-2011, 01:37 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:Am I the only one that wants to see Cowboys and Aliens?
As much as my gut tells me this film will ba a disapointment, I am still excited about it. The concept is so f'd up, it has me intrugued. Harrison Ford is also a draw for me. His good roles have been scarce lately, but he is one of my favorite living actors.
The Mad American   07-23-2011, 01:21 AM
t4terrific Wrote:As much as my gut tells me this film will ba a disapointment, I am still excited about it. The concept is so f'd up, it has me intrugued. Harrison Ford is also a draw for me. His good roles have been scarce lately, but he is one of my favorite living actors.

I have almost the same feeling about it. I am excited by the concept alone. I hope it holds up, I like Daniel Craig (no Cobalt I don't want him to take his shirt off, just be a bad ass) but the Transformer girl is a major red flag for me.

I will still go see it though.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

The Mad American   07-23-2011, 01:23 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:No, studios don't want to do new original movies. That's why The Dark Tower is no longer being made and At the Mountains of Madness was passed over.

Okay, it because the studios didn't want to put a whole bunch of money forward for an unproven product.

At the Mountains of Madness was killed because Del Toro refused to try and make a movie that wouldn't be R rated, with the budget it was supposed to have had the studios and the genius' that run them balked on that.

I have also heard that the Dark Tower movie and series are not dead yet either, only that the studio that had right of first refusal (Warner Bros? not sure) passed and that now Ron Howard is free to shop it around.

Not saying they will make it just...well nevermind.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Alvin Fox   07-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I generalized.

For The Dark Tower, Universal said they'd put the money for just one money and based on how that went would determine the rest of its fate. But the trilogy/series is meant to all be filmed back-to-back-to-back (-to-back-to-back).

And At the Mountains of Madness, if it was a sequel or a remake of some big hit, would the studio have balked at letting it be an R rating?
PicardRex   07-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:While I'm all for new, original movies we can't forget without remakes we would have no JC's The Thing or Cronenberg's The Fly which are both among my favorite movies of all time.

Not trying to quibble, but technically, both of those are based on stories, so whereas they could be argued as remakes, the more accurate term might be reinterpretations of the original source material. In the case of The Thing, JC's is actually more faithful to Who Goes There?, Campbell's story.

Generally, reinterpretations/re-imaginings can be good one of my favorites is Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, I think the 70's version is just as good if not better than the 50's version. Its the needless remakes of original cinematic stories that bother me, such as Escape From New York or Night of the Demons. A minor point, maybe even one just in my head, but it makes a difference to me.
Ken Valentine   07-23-2011, 05:45 AM
t4terrific Wrote:As much as my gut tells me this film will ba a disapointment, I am still excited about it. The concept is so f'd up, it has me intrugued. Harrison Ford is also a draw for me. His good roles have been scarce lately, but he is one of my favorite living actors.
I got a huge laugh over some of the things in the Raiders of the Lost Ark movie -- things which I don't think the writers or the director had intended.

In one scene the old man is translating the writing on the head piece of the staff of Ra, and says thet the staff is, "Six Kadam high." Indie's friend says, "That's about 72 inches."

Then the old guy turns the piece over and says, "And subtract one Kadam to honor the Hebrew God ..."

That makes the staff 60 inches long -- five feet.

When Indy gets into the map room and puts the staff into the hole, it towers over him by nearly two feet.

Which tells me that Indiana Jones is a Hobbit.

And yeah, Just the name Cowboys And Aliens sounds idiotic. I won't be wasting any money on that one, Harrison Ford or not.

Ken V.
mad4tunes   07-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:That'll be the death of the movie industry -- for me at least -- especially if they make idiotic movies about cowboys and aliens.

Ken V.

Actually, I think "Cowboys And Aliens" was based on a genuine story, but of course Hollywood went and screwed it up.

I heard somewhere a studio was contemplating making a movie of "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", and cringed. They already screwed up "The Puppet Masters" and "Starship Troopers". Why can't they do a DECENT job on an RAH book?

The only one of his I've ever seen done as a decent movie was "Destination: Moon".

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."
Ken Valentine   07-23-2011, 12:48 PM
mad4tunes Wrote:I heard somewhere a studio was contemplating making a movie of "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", and cringed. They already screwed up "The Puppet Masters" and "Starship Troopers". Why can't they do a DECENT job on an RAH book?

The only one of his I've ever seen done as a decent movie was "Destination: Moon".
And the only reason Destination Moon turned out well is because Heinlein had a hand in the actual making of the movie -- the special effects and so on.

I never saw The Puppet Masters, and I wish I hadn't seen Starship Poopers.

Ken V.
Pages (3):    1 2 3