Pages (2):    1 2
Scott Miller   07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Paul, with =all= respect, maybe fictioneers are a leetle bit closer to their work than their loyal readers are. Perhaps they see connections more clearly.

Agreed, but Drexler was a major character in it. I would question whether someone had actually read it if they couldn't tell me who he was.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Tony H   07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Paul, with =all= respect, maybe fictioneers are a leetle bit closer to their work than their loyal readers are. Perhaps they see connections more clearly.

Just a thought. (EYES SPINNING, TONGUE OUT emoticon, please, Maestro!)

"Who =is= this idiot? Get him off the stage. Now!"--Arturo Toscanini

I don't think that is true Mike. Especially for authors who have tremendous output. The more works they put out into the ether the more difficult it is for them to remember what they wrote.

I have seen panels of authors partake of a game where a moderator reads a portion of a book that one of them wrote and I have seen the authors stare blankly having no idea if they wrote it or not, let alone be able to tell what book it came from.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
cobalt   07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Agreed, but Drexler was a major character in it. I would question whether someone had actually read it if they couldn't tell me who he was.

Thank you, Scott. I wanted to say the same thing....but I was hesitent to since a newer member wrote the initial question.

EWMAN
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
You're probably right, Tony. I think creative work comes from a part of our consciousness we don't usually access. It would be too, uh...HEAVY! otherwise. (Unless you're Mozart or Da Vinci.)

In me own little case, I found my collected lyrics last night. (Thank you for printing them, Honest Den!)

Half of them (114!), I didn't recall when I wrote them, or why I wrote them, or what was the fucking point.:eek::alien:

Bob Dylan would surely agree. "Keep writing, Little Blues! You're making me look better with every line!"
noturbizniss   07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I agree, the entire premise of Ground Zero and Fatal Error revolved around the actions of Ernst Drexler.
Lysistrata   07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
AsMoral Wrote:I don't think that is true Mike. Especially for authors who have tremendous output. The more works they put out into the ether the more difficult it is for them to remember what they wrote.

I have seen panels of authors partake of a game where a moderator reads a portion of a book that one of them wrote and I have seen the authors stare blankly having no idea if they wrote it or not, let alone be able to tell what book it came from.

Ponson du Terrail, who wrote endless series of voluminous novels in the 19th century, would sometimes have a character die in a book, just to resurrect him/her in the next book, because he had forgotten Big Grin

Trying to be nice
Ken Valentine   07-23-2011, 05:28 AM
AsMoral Wrote:I don't think that is true Mike. Especially for authors who have tremendous output. The more works they put out into the ether the more difficult it is for them to remember what they wrote.

Very true Iony. A few years ago I quoted something from one of the RJ novels and Paul said, "I wrote that?" And asked where he wrote it.

The quote was -- and this is a paraphrase not the actual quote -- Jack says to Gia; Every time I think that this is the floor, nobody can go lower than this, that floor turns out to be somebody else's ceiling.

That was from Legacies, where Gia is telling Jack about the pedophile in Alicia's pediatric AIDS center.

Ken V.
LA2019   07-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Wow, I'm actually embarrassed that I asked this question. I picked up a copy of Ground Zero from the library and just started reading and there he is...Ernst Drexler!!! I have read this novel previously but just totally forgot about him. The odd thing is that I recall all the other characters, just not Mr. Drexler...go figure. I guess it's my 44 year old brain slowly turning to mush....

In my own self defense, I (like most people here) read several books a month; both fiction and non-fiction. After a while all these books in my noodle start to blur. My intention, once Mr. Wilson has finished Jack's run and updated NightWorld, is to go back and read every single book in sequence. It's nice when a series is complete and one can read through without interruption. When I was young I read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara. I liked it but never continued with the rest until just recently. There are almost two dozen books in the Shanara series but they are all out and complete. I had the benefit of being able to read all of the books continuously. All the character and plots stay fresh as one goes from novel to novel, which for me makes the whole endeavor more enjoyable.....
Alvin Fox   07-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Perhaps mentions of him are being erased from records and minds.
Scott Miller   07-25-2011, 12:03 AM
LA2019 Wrote:Wow, I'm actually embarrassed that I asked this question. I picked up a copy of Ground Zero from the library and just started reading and there he is...Ernst Drexler!!! I have read this novel previously but just totally forgot about him. The odd thing is that I recall all the other characters, just not Mr. Drexler...go figure. I guess it's my 44 year old brain slowly turning to mush....

In my own self defense, I (like most people here) read several books a month; both fiction and non-fiction. After a while all these books in my noodle start to blur. My intention, once Mr. Wilson has finished Jack's run and updated NightWorld, is to go back and read every single book in sequence. It's nice when a series is complete and one can read through without interruption. When I was young I read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara. I liked it but never continued with the rest until just recently. There are almost two dozen books in the Shanara series but they are all out and complete. I had the benefit of being able to read all of the books continuously. All the character and plots stay fresh as one goes from novel to novel, which for me makes the whole endeavor more enjoyable.....

Sorry if my post seemed harsh; I certainly don't have a lot of room to talk when it comes to remembering things. One of the things that strikes a nerve with me is when people tell me they've read, watched or listened to whatever I've lent or gave them when it's obvious they haven't.

Welcome to the board and just know that this is a great place to forget things because there are many here that can fill in the blanks.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (2):    1 2