Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5   
RootsReggae   06-28-2011, 02:25 PM
The way time travel is described is presented in Enemy Of The State is intriguing to me. Despite all the movies I’ve seen about it, I never thought about having to send yourself to the right SPACE as a part of time travel. Makes perfect sense though. With the earth traveling around the sun at 30 km/second, to travel back even 1 second to the spot you are sitting in now without accounting for where that spot is located in the invisible 3 dimensional grid of the universe, would be devastating. Once again FPW is the man, but my question is does anybody know any other awesome books about time travel. Older the better.
Alvin Fox   06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Try Clark Aston Smith's short story "The Letter From Mohaun Los". Is 1931 old enough?
KRW   06-28-2011, 06:18 PM
"Lightning" By Dean Koontz was really good. One of the better books he's written. IMO.
KRW   06-28-2011, 06:24 PM
RootsReggae Wrote:The way time travel is described is presented in Enemy Of The State is intriguing to me. Despite all the movies I’ve seen about it, I never thought about having to send yourself to the right SPACE as a part of time travel. Makes perfect sense though. With the earth traveling around the sun at 30 km/second, to travel back even 1 second to the spot you are sitting in now without accounting for where that spot is located in the invisible 3 dimensional grid of the universe, would be devastating. Once again FPW is the man, but my question is does anybody know any other awesome books about time travel. Older the better.

Tim and place are synonymous.

If a friend says meet me at the mall, our question to them is "When?".
And if our friend says meet me at 1:00 PM, our question to them is "Where?". Can't have one without the other.
The Mad American   06-28-2011, 06:31 PM
KRW Wrote:"Lightning" By Dean Koontz was really good. One of the better books he's written. IMO.

I agree here. Not a big fan of Koontz but this is a really good book.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Brian   06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Off the top of my head:

Heinlein's All You Zombies or The Door into Summer

Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder

Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five

Crichton's Timeline

There is no wise man without fault
Sigokat   06-28-2011, 07:21 PM
The Mad American Wrote:I agree here. Not a big fan of Koontz but this is a really good book.

I'm a bigger fan of Koontz's older works. Darkfall, Dragon Tears, and Watchers are my top three (those first two aren't really "favorites" of alot of people but DT was my first DK book and Darkfall was second and I've read them both at least 3 times each).

Lightning is probably #4 for me, but a really good book. I couldn't put it down (well except during mortar attacks...I read it last time I was in Iraq and remember one particular night when I was reading it in my hooch and a mortar came in and landed about 100-150 meters from my hooch)

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
KRW   06-28-2011, 07:45 PM
sigokat Wrote:I'm a bigger fan of Koontz's older works. Darkfall, Dragon Tears, and Watchers are my top three (those first two aren't really "favorites" of alot of people but DT was my first DK book and Darkfall was second and I've read them both at least 3 times each).

Lightning is probably #4 for me, but a really good book. I couldn't put it down (well except during mortar attacks...I read it last time I was in Iraq and remember one particular night when I was reading it in my hooch and a mortar came in and landed about 100-150 meters from my hooch)

Watchers will probably always be my favorite of Koontz. Lightning is number two, with a third place tie between Strangers and Cold fire. But I'm thinking they'd all be unreadable during mortar attacks. Wink
The Mad American   06-28-2011, 07:47 PM
KRW Wrote:Watchers will probably always be my favorite of Koontz. Lightning is number two, with a third place tie between Strangers and Cold fire. But I'm thinking they'd all be unreadable during mortar attacks. Wink

Probably Strangers for me. And yeah, not sure I could pull off the concentration needed during a mortar attack.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

KRW   06-28-2011, 07:49 PM
RootsReggae Wrote:The way time travel is described is presented in Enemy Of The State is intriguing to me. Despite all the movies I’ve seen about it, I never thought about having to send yourself to the right SPACE as a part of time travel. Makes perfect sense though. With the earth traveling around the sun at 30 km/second, to travel back even 1 second to the spot you are sitting in now without accounting for where that spot is located in the invisible 3 dimensional grid of the universe, would be devastating. Once again FPW is the man, but my question is does anybody know any other awesome books about time travel. Older the better.

Another interesting time travel book is Louis L'Amour "The Haunted Mesa". It wasn't a machine used for time travel, it was more like a portal to walk through, but you had to be at the right place and time. He did a pretty good job with it. IMO.
Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5