Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Ludovic   06-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Hi! Interresting thread!
I loved "Behold the man" by Michael Moorcock (1969) and "The accidental time machine" by Joe Haldeman (2007).
Otherwise "Flashforward" by Robert J. Sawyer (1999) is not bad.
An interresting book I've read few month ago is "The Breach" by Patrick Lee (2009).
I think that's all I know...

You can see my work here: http://ludovic-art.blogspot.com/
APhew   06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Replay by Ken Grimwood
Sev   06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Folks,

The Cross-Time Engineer was one that I enjoyed. A modern engineer finds himself in Poland about 10 years prior to the Mongol invasion. By Leo Frankowski. I can recommend the first four books in the series.

'later,

Sev
quikfix228   06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
a wrinkle in time-Madeleine L'Engle

thats a cool story
nonquixote   06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
quikfix228 Wrote:a wrinkle in time-Madeleine L'Engle

thats a cool story
That book was required reading when I was in elementary school and therefore became a gateway drug for many of us who went on to become SF/fantasy aficionados. After that I went on to Heinlein's and John Christopher's juveniles, and from there I was lost.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Scott Miller   07-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I saw Replay by Ken Grimwood mentioned already and I will add my vote for it as well. And while it is not too old, Bridge Of Years by Robert Charles Wilson is another favorite. I know I have more but am drawing a blank at the moment.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Noodle   07-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series features time travel quite prominently. It's a quirky, intelligent, funny series besides. Example - "The Big Over Easy" examines Humpty Dumpty's death. Did he fall, or was he pushed? "The Fourth Bear" similarly takes on the mysterious conspiracy case of Goldilocks. Great fun.

Edit: Some of the books in Eric Flints "Ring of Fire" series are very good. Generally, the ones he actually wrote rather than farmed out to other writers. "1632" is the first, and in my mind, best. modern day West Virginia town gets transferred to 1632 Germany, in the middle of the 30 Years War.
This post was last modified: 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM by Noodle.
rjack_fan   07-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Noodle Wrote:Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series features time travel quite prominently. It's a quirky, intelligent, funny series besides. Example - "The Big Over Easy" examines Humpty Dumpty's death. Did he fall, or was he pushed? "The Fourth Bear" similarly takes on the mysterious conspiracy case of Goldilocks. Great fun.

Edit: Some of the books in Eric Flints "Ring of Fire" series are very good. Generally, the ones he actually wrote rather than farmed out to other writers. "1632" is the first, and in my mind, best. modern day West Virginia town gets transferred to 1632 Germany, in the middle of the 30 Years War.

Welcome! I have heard good things about Jasper Fforde, but have not read any of his books. Thanks for the recommendations!
Peter   07-01-2011, 06:42 PM
The best time travel story I can think of off the top of my head is By His Bootstraps by Robert Heinlein.

A short story rather than a novel but it's been anthologised so many times it shouldn't be hard to find.
This post was last modified: 07-02-2011, 07:23 AM by Peter.

Well, I've never seen one do THAT before
GCBurner   07-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Another classic that I remember reading is the 1939 Lest Darkness Fall, by L. Sprague de Camp. It concerns an American archaeologist in 20th century Rome who is in the Pantheon when it gets hit by lightning, and winds up in 6th Century Rome, where he struggles to prevent the Dark Ages from starting.
Harry Turtledove has said this book influenced him to start writing "alternative history" scifi, including The Guns of the South, which has a time travel element - 21st Century White Supremacists steal a time machine to transport AK-47s, modern technology, and military history to the Confederacy late in the US Civil War, to help the South win and change future history by preserving slavery.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5