ImDeranged   06-24-2011, 05:19 AM
We just lost one of the great ones. Gene Colan, 84 has left us. His art was an amazing combination of shadows and motion. While others at Marvel were told and taught how to emulate Jack Kirby, Stan Lee let Gene be himself.

[Image: Buffy%20pg%2013.jpg]

I have all his Daredevils, the first 30 issues of Tomb of Dracula, and I even own an original art page from Detective Comics.

And of course there is Howard the Duck.
[Image: howard-bev.jpg]

R.I.P.
The Mad American   06-24-2011, 02:06 PM
ImDeranged Wrote:We just lost one of the great ones. Gene Colan, 84 has left us. His art was an amazing combination of shadows and motion. While others at Marvel were told and taught how to emulate Jack Kirby, Stan Lee let Gene be himself.

[Image: Buffy%20pg%2013.jpg]

I have all his Daredevils, the first 30 issues of Tomb of Dracula, and I even own an original art page from Detective Comics.

And of course there is Howard the Duck.
[Image: howard-bev.jpg]

R.I.P.

Ah, that sucks. I too have a lot of his Daredevil work and a few others. Great artist. R.I.P. Indeed.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Ah, that sucks. I too have a lot of his Daredevil work and a few others. Great artist. R.I.P. Indeed.

It amazes me how comics artists don't get their due. Working under a deadline, producing consistant quality work...dem's pro's.

Ask guys about my age, "Do you like Jack Kirby?" and see what happens.
The Mad American   06-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:It amazes me how comics artists don't get their due. Working under a deadline, producing consistant quality work...dem's pro's.

Ask guys about my age, "Do you like Jack Kirby?" and see what happens.

Hey Blues, do you like Jack Kirby? Wink

~ Red Buttons

Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-28-2011, 12:27 AM
The Mad American Wrote:Hey Blues, do you like Jack Kirby? Wink

Who's Jack Kirby? :confused:RolleyesCool:cornut:

He's the guy who shot Oswald, right?
ImDeranged   06-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Who's Jack Kirby? :confused:RolleyesCool:cornut:

He's the guy who shot Oswald, right?

No Jack Kirby's the guy that invented so many comic book charactors he became known as the "Father of Invention". Here's a picture of him with his arm around the "Mother of Invention" hmself.
[Image: Frank-Zappa-Jack-Kirby.jpg]
After Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's Bro-mance ended in the late 60's Jack Went to DC. Marvel mainly used John Buscema on Kirby's titles. While they are great on their own compared to Kirby's work....to quote Frank about the subject, "Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?"

Because two or three people reading might get the references... another piece of the secret history of the world- Zappa/ Kirby Wold Newton. Yeah I went there.
The Mad American   06-28-2011, 01:52 PM
ImDeranged Wrote:No Jack Kirby's the guy that invented so many comic book charactors he became known as the "Father of Invention". Here's a picture of him with his arm around the "Mother of Invention" hmself.
[Image: Frank-Zappa-Jack-Kirby.jpg]
After Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's Bro-mance ended in the late 60's Jack Went to DC. Marvel mainly used John Buscema on Kirby's titles. While they are great on their own compared to Kirby's work....to quote Frank about the subject, "Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?"

Because two or three people reading might get the references... another piece of the secret history of the world- Zappa/ Kirby Wold Newton. Yeah I went there.

Have you ever been walking around and seen someone and thought "holy crap, that person looks like a Jack Kirby drawing"? Anyone who knows comics or comic artist will know Kirby's work right off.

And love the Zappa/Kirby combo. The parents of Invention. Very nice.Big Grin

~ Red Buttons