KRW   06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I ended up getting "Pale Rider" for a fathers day present, and since it was fathers day I watched it. Toward the end of the movie, I said to my dad, how much the ending of "Pale Rider" reminded me of "Shane".

He turned to me and said "That was "Shane".

I don't remember "Shane'" very well, but I do believe he's got a point.

Anyone else notice the similarities?
The Mad American   06-21-2011, 12:38 AM
KRW Wrote:I ended up getting "Pale Rider" for a fathers day present, and since it was fathers day I watched it. Toward the end of the movie, I said to my dad, how much the ending of "Pale Rider" reminded me of "Shane".

He turned to me and said "That was "Shane".

I don't remember "Shane'" very well, but I do believe he's got a point.

Anyone else notice the similarities?

You're not the first person I have heard this from. I am not that familiar with "Shane" either. Will have to get it and watch it again to see. BUt I had a friend who said basically the same thing your dad did. Will have to give it a look.

On a side note, most of "Pale Rider" was filmed in good old Idaho (with the exception of a few scenes in towns other than the main story take place, and the train station). A lot of people thought it was filmed in the Sawtooth Mountains, but that is wrong, the opening scenes show the Sawtooths but the movie was mostly filmed in the Boulder Mountains an area I have spent a lot of time in. Beautiful country and tons of backwoods trails.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

GCBurner   06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
The lone Hero, helping the little folks fight back against the Big Folks. That's the plot of so many Westerns and other tales, going back to Robin Hood, at least.
KRW   06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
GCBurner Wrote:The lone Hero, helping the little folks fight back against the Big Folks. That's the plot of so many Westerns and other tales, going back to Robin Hood, at least.

I agree. I just don't remember "Shane" well enough to know how much of an overlap in story lines there are. I do remember the endings are almost identical, but that's about it.
KRW   06-21-2011, 08:34 PM
The Mad American Wrote:You're not the first person I have heard this from. I am not that familiar with "Shane" either. Will have to get it and watch it again to see. BUt I had a friend who said basically the same thing your dad did. Will have to give it a look.

On a side note, most of "Pale Rider" was filmed in good old Idaho (with the exception of a few scenes in towns other than the main story take place, and the train station). A lot of people thought it was filmed in the Sawtooth Mountains, but that is wrong, the opening scenes show the Sawtooths but the movie was mostly filmed in the Boulder Mountains an area I have spent a lot of time in. Beautiful country and tons of backwoods trails.

Those opening scenes are gorgeous. Why do they call them the Sawtooths?Big Grin
The Mad American   06-22-2011, 05:23 PM
KRW Wrote:Those opening scenes are gorgeous. Why do they call them the Sawtooths?Big Grin

Lol. Um I think it is because they once saw a guy who had a tooth that looked all pointy and jagged like that range and the guy said to the other guy "Hey I think I just saw your tooth".WinkBig Grin

~ Red Buttons

GCBurner   06-22-2011, 05:59 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Lol. Um I think it is because they once saw a guy who had a tooth that looked all pointy and jagged like that range and the guy said to the other guy "Hey I think I just saw your tooth".WinkBig Grin

Or it could be because when looked at from a certain angle, they look like the sharp pointy teeth of a crosscut saw.

See if you can guess why the French fur trappers named another part of the Rocky Mountains the "Grand Tetons." Big Grin
The Mad American   06-22-2011, 06:01 PM
GCBurner Wrote:Or it could be because when looked at from a certain angle, they look like the sharp pointy teeth of a crosscut saw.

See if you can guess why the French fur trappers named another part of the Rocky Mountains the "Grand Tetons." Big Grin

Common mistake there GC. Most people think it would be the obvious explanation you just offered but...well. Fine.Big Grin

~ Red Buttons

Ken Valentine   07-03-2011, 03:37 AM
GCBurner Wrote:Or it could be because when looked at from a certain angle, they look like the sharp pointy teeth of a crosscut saw.

After the Teton Sioux? Big Grin

I know what you're getting at though -- there are some mountain peaks that can be seen from Trail Ridge Road in Colorado that are called the Twin Sisters (for fairly obvious reasons.)

Ken V.