Pages (2): 1 2   
sailorman99   06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I am in love with the book series. I love that the Repairman Jack Series is 15 books. I love getting to know a character and see how their story progresses throughout all these books.

I am looking for the next series to read. I got "Storm Front", which is part of the Dresden Series. I am not sold on it yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a series to start? And please do not suggest LOTR. I would like more horror, but any series that someone suggest here I will pursue. THANKS!!!
cobalt   06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
sailorman99 Wrote:I am in love with the book series. I love that the Repairman Jack Series is 15 books. I love getting to know a character and see how their story progresses throughout all these books.

I am looking for the next series to read. I got "Storm Front", which is part of the Dresden Series. I am not sold on it yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a series to start? And please do not suggest LOTR. I would like more horror, but any series that someone suggest here I will pursue. THANKS!!!

Hello sailor! lol welcome to the board.

Have you read anything by Brian Lumley? His vampire series was really good.

EWMAN
The Mad American   06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:Hello sailor! lol welcome to the board.

Have you read anything by Brian Lumley? His vampire series was really good.

I would second that. Any of the original Harry Keogh books or the Vampire world books would be a great choice.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Alvin Fox   06-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I also like the Dreamlands books. Well, the first three.

Also try the first few Matthew Corbett books by Robert McCammon (Speaks the Nightbird, Queen of Bedlam and Mister Slaughter).
The Mad American   06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
AlvinFox Wrote:I also like the Dreamlands books. Well, the first three.

Also try the first few Matthew Corbett books by Robert McCammon (Speaks the Nightbird, Queen of Bedlam and Mister Slaughter).

I haven't read Mister Slaughter yet, Queen of Bedlam never really hooked me and I usually love McCammon. Maybe I will have to give Slaughter a chance.

~ Red Buttons

nonquixote   06-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I just read through the Bob Lee Swagger sniper series by Stephen Hunter and liked them very much. Similar to the RJ novels in being the adventures of a supremely capable person acting alone in the face of forces beyond his control.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
The Mad American   06-14-2011, 02:51 PM
nonquixote Wrote:I just read through the Bob Lee Swagger sniper series by Stephen Hunter and liked them very much. Similar to the RJ novels in being the adventures of a supremely capable person acting alone in the face of forces beyond his control.

Those are the books "Shooter" was based on right?

~ Red Buttons

nonquixote   06-14-2011, 02:54 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Those are the books "Shooter" was based on right?
Yes. The movie Shooter is based on the novel Point of Impact, the first novel in the series. There are also some prequels in the series however, featuring Bob Lee's father Earl.

ETA... there is also an interesting coincidence (?) to FPW's work in that the novel The 47th Samurai features much of the same lore as in Black Wind, including the legend of the Masamune sword
This post was last modified: 06-14-2011, 03:00 PM by nonquixote.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Medusa   06-14-2011, 02:54 PM
The Mad American Wrote:I haven't read Mister Slaughter yet, Queen of Bedlam never really hooked me and I usually love McCammon. Maybe I will have to give Slaughter a chance.
Mister Slaughter is much better than Queeen of Bedlam IMO.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
The Mad American   06-14-2011, 03:00 PM
nonquixote Wrote:Yes. The movie Shooter is based on the novel Point of Impact, the first novel in the series. There are also some prequels in the series however, featuring Bob Lee's father Earl.

ETA... there is also an interest coincidence (?) to FPW's work in that the novel The 47th Samurai features much of the same lore as in Black Wind, including the legend of the Masamune sword

Cool, I may have to look into those books. Thanks nonquixote. (even though I didn't ask the question I am leeching info from the answers to sailormans question).

~ Red Buttons

Pages (2): 1 2