Sigokat   06-05-2011, 07:32 PM
X-Men: First Class was a great movie overall. Of course, not being a kid that grew up reading the comics I am not sure if all the mutants are in line with the canon and its timeline. If not, then I am sure the diehards fans would take issue, like they do so often.

There were some nuiances throughout the film that I found annoying, like Charles' "gesture" for example. Also, it seemed all the mutants on Charles' side with the exception of Raven and Erik were just fillers (even though I know Alex and Hank were their for a 'purpose'). The other ones...no idea who they were and why they were there. None of what they did really changed the course of the plot at all.

But Overall, it was great and fun to watch. This movie resolidified by belief that Erik is one of the badasses mutants of all (this is the movies I'm talking about, remember). Also the cameo was cool as well and when that scene started I had a hope and a feeling that cameo would happen and it did!

See X-Men: First Class if you liked the first two. I still think the first X-Men was the best, but FC is second best.

Just my two Lincolns

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Tony H   06-05-2011, 09:44 PM
sigokat Wrote:X-Men: First Class was a great movie overall. Of course, not being a kid that grew up reading the comics I am not sure if all the mutants are in line with the canon and its timeline. If not, then I am sure the diehards fans would take issue, like they do so often.

There were some nuiances throughout the film that I found annoying, like Charles' "gesture" for example. Also, it seemed all the mutants on Charles' side with the exception of Raven and Erik were just fillers (even though I know Alex and Hank were their for a 'purpose'). The other ones...no idea who they were and why they were there. None of what they did really changed the course of the plot at all.

But Overall, it was great and fun to watch. This movie resolidified by belief that Erik is one of the badasses mutants of all (this is the movies I'm talking about, remember). Also the cameo was cool as well and when that scene started I had a hope and a feeling that cameo would happen and it did!

See X-Men: First Class if you liked the first two. I still think the first X-Men was the best, but FC is second best.

Just my two Lincolns

X-Men: First Class is the Whitest Movie in America and there is one scene that will most likely have the black population crying foul and for the most part I can say, it might be a genuine concern. It's almost as racist as the two ghetto robots in the Transformers sequel two years ago.

Aside from that point, the movie was high on action and drama while introducing a fresh cast of mutants to the already well-established gallery of on-screen X-Men.

This is the story that X-Men movie fans have been clamoring for and it is pulled off rather well with just a few stumbles along the 2 hour and eleven minutes way.

After taking hiatus from "X-Men" writer duties after "X-Men 2" to draft "Superman Returns", Bryan Singer is back at the helm with a script that is fresh, politically intriguing, and dramatic with some pretty astonishing action set pieces acting as the glue that holds the rest together.

The movie even comes complete with a montaaaaaaaaage that houses one of the best cameos I have seen in a long time.

Most of all though, "X-Men: First Class" is a film about Magneto, and while I loved Ian McKellan in the role during the original trilogy, it was good to see how it all began with Michael Fassbender (Inglorious Basterds)competently filling the iconic villian's shoes. Both actors have a way of humanizing the character that draws on the sympathies that made Magneto such an interesting character in the comic books. He is one bad guy whom at the end of the day you can sit back and say "I know why he does it, he's not really a BAD guy."

Despite the flack it will take for being inadvertently racist, not much credence will be given to the fact that this film is about a Jewish survivor of the holocaust. It is also about how a group of minorities who are hated because they are different and how the world is not ready to accept anything other than white as the norm. The film takes place during the 60's after all, at the height of segregation, and X-Men draws on this with the character of Mystique conflicted over whether her blue natural color or the beautiful white woman guise she takes on is the more beautiful and worthy to be seen by the public.

Bryan Singer, an openly gay writer/director/producer, no doubt drew heavily on personal experiences of being different and outcast to instill a sense of realism in the script, and just like the other films, there is a sense of "coming out" ever so present in the film with lines like "I thought I was the only one." and "I didn't know there were more people like me."

Still, Singer knows why people come to see an X-Men film, its to see super powers, great action scenes and to be entertained, and that is one thing this film does.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
GeraldRice   06-06-2011, 05:42 PM
I need to see this movie to find out what's so racist.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Tony H   06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:I need to see this movie to find out what's so racist.

It really is all in how you look at it. To be honest, horror films have done the same thing for years and no one has cried foul.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
ccosborne3   06-06-2011, 08:58 PM
AsMoral Wrote:It really is all in how you look at it. To be honest, horror films have done the same thing for years and no one has cried foul.

Is it like The Edge, where Harold Perrinau gets eaten by the bear in the first twenty minutes and the two fat white guys fight it off with sticks and a dream?
Tony H   06-07-2011, 12:21 AM
ccosborne3 Wrote:Is it like The Edge, where Harold Perrinau gets eaten by the bear in the first twenty minutes and the two fat white guys fight it off with sticks and a dream?

Something a lot like that.

Certified 100% Serious
Kenji   06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Yesterday I saw X-Men First Class. (Japanese title is First Generation.)

I really enjoyed it. Great movie, indeed! Political drama and action, sounds like James Bond movie.

I'm generally sick of easy remakes or sequels, but this revamped X-Men origin story was excellent as I expected. It was the best movie I've seen since "The Dark Knight". Good casting(Kevin bacon!), good acting sequences, good special effects(by John Dykstra!) - the whole movie was first class!

And, finally we could see their yellow costume. Haha! Big Grin

By the way I saw The Green Lantern's trailer, and I now want to see that, too!