Pages (2): 1 2   
Kenji   03-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Today I saw The Fighter. I saw some boxing movies. Rocky, Raging Bull, Cinderella Man... and now, I can say "The Fighter" is one of the best boxing movies.

Christian Bale stole the show with his unforgettable performance in this drama. His acting deserve Oscar. After all, Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Melissa Leo and Amy Adams...they were excellent!

If you are familiar with boxing history, you know how the story goes to endings. If you don't know, take a seat and find out for yourself.
nonquixote   03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I saw it Friday night. It was one of the better movies I've seen in the past year. Christian Bale always seems capable of giving a riveting performance as I think is Daniel Day Lewis. IMO they are the two most interesting male actors working.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
The Mad American   03-28-2011, 12:47 AM
nonquixote Wrote:I saw it Friday night. It was one of the better movies I've seen in the past year. Christian Bale always seems capable of giving a riveting performance as I think is Daniel Day Lewis. IMO they are the two most interesting male actors working.

And to connect those two actors (Bale and Day Lewis) ever seen "The Boxer" with Daniel Day Lewis? One of my favorite DDL movies.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

nonquixote   03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
The Mad American Wrote:And to connect those two actors (Bale and Day Lewis) ever seen "The Boxer" with Daniel Day Lewis? One of my favorite DDL movies.
I have not. Thanks for pointing that out. I will rectify that asap.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
The Mad American   03-28-2011, 01:23 PM
nonquixote Wrote:I have not. Thanks for pointing that out. I will rectify that asap.

It is really good in my opinion. More of a political movie about the IRA and how it effects the lives of men in Northern Ireland but DDL plays a boxer in it. I won't add more details to avoid spoilers and that kind of stuff but great movie, well worth the watch.

~ Red Buttons

t4terrific   03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Micky Ward was a modern day Rocky Balboa. He didn't fight with a lot of skill. He was just tough as hell, had a lot of heart, and had a killer left hook. I watched a few of his later HBO fights live. I saw his 1st and 3rd fights against Gotti live. They may have been the most amazing fights I've ever seen. They should be up there with Ali/Frasier in terms of hard fought rivalries.

I will see the movie as soon as Netflix gets it to me. Marky Mark doesn't look much like Micky Ward, but I think he is a great actor to play the part because of his athleticism, and where he's from. Hopefully they captured the pure guts that Micky had, and it's not all about his brother.

I read that the 3 Gotti fights aren't in the movie. I would figure they'd have at least put the first one in, since Ward got the decision. Maybe a sequel then? If The Fighter made money there is a perfect chance for a sequel, since the Gotti fights were huge. Surely they were Ward's most famous fights.
t4terrific   03-28-2011, 01:57 PM
nonquixote Wrote:Christian Bale always seems capable of giving a riveting performance as I think is Daniel Day Lewis. IMO they are the two most interesting male actors working.
Yep and both seem to go to some weird places preparing for roles. Bill "The Butcher" is one of my very favorite movie performances.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-29-2011, 05:49 PM
t4terrific Wrote:Micky Ward was a modern day Rocky Balboa. He didn't fight with a lot of skill. He was just tough as hell, had a lot of heart, and had a killer left hook. I watched a few of his later HBO fights live. I saw his 1st and 3rd fights against Gotti live. They may have been the most amazing fights I've ever seen. They should be up there with Ali/Frasier in terms of hard fought rivalries.

I will see the movie as soon as Netflix gets it to me. Marky Mark doesn't look much like Micky Ward, but I think he is a great actor to play the part because of his athleticism, and where he's from. Hopefully they captured the pure guts that Micky had, and it's not all about his brother.

I read that the 3 Gotti fights aren't in the movie. I would figure they'd have at least put the first one in, since Ward got the decision. Maybe a sequel then? If The Fighter made money there is a perfect chance for a sequel, since the Gotti fights were huge. Surely they were Ward's most famous fights.

The Ali/Frazier fights were classic. I believe most boxers take the "'It's my work', he'd say, 'I do it for pay'" attitude, but those guys really did not like one another. The Thrilla in Manilla...I have never seen another fight like that. Neither man was the same afterwards.
The Mad American   03-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:The Ali/Frazier fights were classic. I believe most boxers take the "'It's my work', he'd say, 'I do it for pay'" attitude, but those guys really did not like one another. The Thrilla in Manilla...I have never seen another fight like that. Neither man was the same afterwards.

Have you seen the Ward/Gotti trilogy of fights? Freaking wars without comparison. I think it caused long term damage to both men but wow, what fights. I agree with T4 in that they belong up there in the way people look at classics.

But I also understand why they weren't included in "The Fighter". I won't say specifically so as not to ruin things for some who haven't seen the movie, but it focused more on Pre-Ward history. And I don't think there will be a sequel but who knows?

~ Red Buttons

Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-29-2011, 06:02 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Have you seen the Ward/Gotti trilogy of fights? Freaking wars without comparison. I think it caused long term damage to both men but wow, what fights. I agree with T4 in that they belong up there in the way people look at classics.

But I also understand why they weren't included in "The Fighter". I won't say specifically so as not to ruin things for some who haven't seen the movie, but it focused more on Pre-Ward history. And I don't think there will be a sequel but who knows?

I haven't seen those brawls. Do you know if they're available on DVD? The Madison Gamblers always like to see historic bouts.
Pages (2): 1 2