Pages (3): 1 2 3   
nonquixote   03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm all caught up on the Jack novels, and had vowed to wait until the rereleases to read Reprisal and Nightworld. But I just finished reading the trade paperbacks of Reborn and The Touch, and can't stand the wait, so I caved in and ordered older copies of Reprisal and Nightworld off of Amazon. Now I'm pacing the floor awaiting their arrival. I feel so weak.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
rjack_fan   03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Don't forget the three short story collections that have stories that tie in! Definitely worth reading if you haven't yet. Plus Black Wind.

I've been able to resist so far, but I'm running out of other FPW stuff to tide me over.

May the shipping gods be kind and deliver your fix quickly.
Anemone of the State   03-22-2011, 04:26 AM
Black Wind is a brilliant novel. It truly deserves the adjective "epic" when describing it. I have a bit of a soft spot for it as I am originally a California native and have lived in Hiroshima & Tokyo, while having visited Kyoto and now currently live on Oahu.

Black Wind takes place on all of those locales while incorporating the best alternate history of WW2 I've ever come across. It also has that twisted and beautifully obscene (oxymoronic as it sounds) deranged "otherness" creep in just so perfectly that any fan of The Man's writing will have that home sweet home feeling while reading.

The understanding of Japanese culture that The Man reached while writing this book is impressive, and I say this as someone who has spent 1/2 of his life in Japan... including most of my youth.

The bottom line to this post is, buy and read Black Wind.

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss."
Robert A. Heinlein
The Mad American   03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Anemone of the State Wrote:Black Wind is a brilliant novel. It truly deserves the adjective "epic" when describing it. I have a bit of a soft spot for it as I am originally a California native and have lived in Hiroshima & Tokyo, while having visited Kyoto and now currently live on Oahu.

Black Wind takes place on all of those locales while incorporating the best alternate history of WW2 I've ever come across. It also has that twisted and beautifully obscene (oxymoronic as it sounds) deranged "otherness" creep in just so perfectly that any fan of The Man's writing will have that home sweet home feeling while reading.

The understanding of Japanese culture that The Man reached while writing this book is impressive, and I say this as someone who has spent 1/2 of his life in Japan... including most of my youth.

You want to really be impressed with the understanding of Japanese culture and country attained in "Black Wind"? I had a lot of the same thoughts as you and asked The Man once if he had visited Japan to do the research and he had never been there before writing the book. I was floored. Some of the best writing on how the two cultures (Japanese and American) interacted and worked alone. Great stuff.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Scott Miller   03-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Anemone of the State Wrote:Black Wind is a brilliant novel. It truly deserves the adjective "epic" when describing it. I have a bit of a soft spot for it as I am originally a California native and have lived in Hiroshima & Tokyo, while having visited Kyoto and now currently live on Oahu.

Best book ever.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
cobalt   03-22-2011, 03:33 PM
I love Black Wind.

EWMAN
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-22-2011, 05:38 PM
It's a superb novel.
William Malmborg   04-07-2011, 07:11 PM
nonquixote Wrote:I'm all caught up on the Jack novels, and had vowed to wait until the rereleases to read Reprisal and Nightworld. But I just finished reading the trade paperbacks of Reborn and The Touch, and can't stand the wait, so I caved in and ordered older copies of Reprisal and Nightworld off of Amazon. Now I'm pacing the floor awaiting their arrival. I feel so weak.

I'm right there with you. I had actually read Reborn several years ago and never went any further into the series since I had so much other stuff to read by F. Paul Wilson. A few weeks ago, however, I read it again so I could write about it for my webpage and now am itching to see what happens next. I don't know if I can wait until December. Everyday this week I've gone onto Amazon and almost bought Reprisal, but somehow have managed to hold off -- mostly by buying other 'out of print' horror novels that I've always wanted to read as well -- but don't know how much longer that will work. I'm probably going to cave.
ccosborne3   04-07-2011, 09:14 PM
William Malmborg Wrote:I'm right there with you. I had actually read Reborn several years ago and never went any further into the series since I had so much other stuff to read by F. Paul Wilson. A few weeks ago, however, I read it again so I could write about it for my webpage and now am itching to see what happens next. I don't know if I can wait until December. Everyday this week I've gone onto Amazon and almost bought Reprisal, but somehow have managed to hold off -- mostly by buying other 'out of print' horror novels that I've always wanted to read as well -- but don't know how much longer that will work. I'm probably going to cave.

I don't think you should wait. The original unrevamped editions are great as they are. You can read the updates later. The fact is if you wait for the revisions you'll never go back and read the originals. It's fun for me to see how Wilson weaves the new material in with the old prose. Looking at it from the author's point of view it's quite a challenge.
nonquixote   04-08-2011, 07:49 AM
I received my order and have finished Reprisal and Nightworld. I think Reprisal still holds up very well, in fact it's one of the most horrifying novels I've ever read, the product of a truly twisted imagination. Heh heh. Nightworld was good too, but it's much more apparent that it was written long before most of the Jack novels and would therefore greatly benefit from updating, so I still plan to read the revision when it is available.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Pages (3): 1 2 3