Pages (3):    1 2 3   
The Mad American   02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Maggers Wrote:Scott, are there any YA books you'd particularly recommend?

I know you didnt ask me but I will add one I just finished. "The Hunger Games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins, it was very very good. The three books are "Hunger Games" "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay".

They are fresh in my mind, I am sure others will pop up after I let the question stew in my mind for awhile.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Maggers   02-03-2011, 03:06 PM
The Mad American Wrote:I know you didnt ask me but I will add one I just finished. "The Hunger Games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins, it was very very good. The three books are "Hunger Games" "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay".

They are fresh in my mind, I am sure others will pop up after I let the question stew in my mind for awhile.

I love it when you answer me, Mad Am, no matter the question. Big Grin

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall check them out.

Edited to add:

OK, Mad Am, I just ordered "Hunger Games" for my Kindle. Gotta love the Kindle.

Do you know anything about "The Hangman's Daughter," which came up as recommended. I know I'm getting off topic here in the RJ section of the board. Sorry about that.
This post was last modified: 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

The Mad American   02-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Maggers Wrote:I love it when you answer me, Mad Am, no matter the question. Big Grin

Edited to add:

Do you know anything about "The Hangman's Daughter," which came up as recommended. I know I'm getting off topic here in the RJ section of the board. Sorry about that.

I do not know anything about "The Hangman's Daughter" I will definitely look into it though. Big Grin

~ Red Buttons

Scott Miller   02-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Maggers Wrote:Scott, are there any YA books you'd particularly recommend?

Off the top of my head I'll recommend anything by Neal Shusterman(one of my favorite authors), The Power Of Five books by Anthony Horowitz and any of the three Royce Buckingham books. I'll drudge up a more complete list from the murky depths of my memory soon.

And I can somewhat second the Collins trilogy that Madam recommended, but I ve only read the first one.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Off the top of my head I'll recommend anything by Neal Shusterman(one of my favorite authors), The Power Of Five books by Anthony Horowitz and any of the three Royce Buckingham books. I'll drudge up a more complete list from the murky depths of my memory soon.

And I can somewhat second the Collins trilogy that Madam recommended, but I ve only read the first one.

Thanks, Scott!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Maggers Wrote:Thanks, Scott!

My pleasure. A few more emerged from the goo: Scott Westerfeld's Midnighters trilogy and the first couple in The Uglies series, Hate List by Jennifer Brown, The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester, Kenneth Oppel's Matt Cruse books(The Devil's Cure by him is also excellent although it is adult oriented), Phillip Pullman has two good series-The Sally Lockhart mysteries and His Dark Materials, I Am Number Four by Pitticus Lore, and I've a soft spot for Lloyd Alexander. Oh and Malice by Chris Wooding-I'd be curious about how the kindle would handle that as some of the story is in comic book form.

Scott

The Mad American   02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I Am Number Four by Pitticus Lore

Ah so is that the source material for the movie Number Four that I have been seeing the ads for lately? Looks interesting, may have to dig that one up.

~ Red Buttons

Scott Miller   02-04-2011, 05:38 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Ah so is that the source material for the movie Number Four that I have been seeing the ads for lately? Looks interesting, may have to dig that one up.

Yeah I'm thinking about checking it out on opening day-I haven't seen the previews so I haven't decided whether it will be cheesy or not. I did enjoy the book a lot though.

Scott

webby   02-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Maggers Wrote:I love it when you answer me, Mad Am, no matter the question. Big Grin

Edited to add:

The "Hunger Games" trilogy is fantastic. I expect you'll love it, Maggers.

You should give "The Hangman's Daughter" a shot, too. I read it recently and thought it was pretty good. A little slow at times, a little repetetive at times, but still a decent mystery and a fascinating peek into a long-ago era.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   02-04-2011, 11:10 PM
fpw Wrote:...pubbed today: http://tinyurl.com/4dw55rz

Yipee!

I thought about getting it on Kindle but decided to suffer through a few days waiting for the physical book since I have the others in physical book form.

And while I was at it, I ordered another YA book that isn't available on Kindle - Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien. It's the first "TEOTWAWKI" novel I ever read (around the age of 12) and it hooked me on the genre for life.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pages (3):    1 2 3