jjmcculloch   01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I’m new to the forum but have been reading Repairman Jack for a long time; this month’s newsletter mentioned not pursuing the Nightkill/Jack Nacht series because of the similarities to RJ. I think this would be a shame because while there are some definite similarities between the characters, they are really on two very different paths. RJ, to me, is the man who remains true to who and what he is. He is immutable and steadfast, when it would be easier to change. Sure, he’s mellowed a bit over the years (the love of a good partner with a lot of patience will do that…my wife will vouch for that), but he remains RJ at the core of who and what he is. He’s a man who will not swerve from his path, who needs to see justice, or at least fairness, is done. I imagine it’s what the Ally finds so appealing in RJ, not so much a moral code, but a need for balance and order (RJ’s “righting” wrongs by repairing the people and situations he’s brought into). RJ’s story is about not changing, staying true to what you believe is right and seeing it done, no matter the cost.

Jack Nacht is really at the opposite end of the spectrum. Here is a guy who’s only emotional relationship (prior to the middle of the story) was with a “father” who adopted him only to use him as a hunting trophy (reminded me of the classic “Most Dangerous Game”). He’s (understandably) emotionally damaged and pursues a morally wrong path and only at the end of the story, begins to find his path to redemption. JN’s story is about change and redemption; can he change, can he atone for what he’s done, can he evolve into a “normal” person. I don’t think folks would feel JN is simply a retread RJ; maybe at one level he’s what RJ might have become, had circumstances been different, or maybe RJ is what he might, in time, become closer to. Or maybe, facing the end of the RJ series, I would love to have another character and story to read as compelling and interesting as RJ’s has been over the years.

Please reconsider the JN/Nightkill series! Thanks for all of your stories.

John
fpw   01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Interesting take, there. Never looked at it that way.

Perhaps with Jack winding down, Jake should come back.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
t4terrific   01-04-2011, 01:05 PM
jjmcculloch Wrote:I’m new to the forum but have been reading Repairman Jack for a long time; this month’s newsletter mentioned not pursuing the Nightkill/Jack Nacht series because of the similarities to RJ. I think this would be a shame because while there are some definite similarities between the characters, they are really on two very different paths...

Please reconsider the JN/Nightkill series! Thanks for all of your stories.

John
I've been hoping for a Jake Nacht series as well. He is a terrific character. FPW has mentioned an apprehension for getting into a sniper series. Stephen Hunter has given so much detail in the Bob "The Nailer" series, and FPW didn't want to suffer by comparison.

I don't believe a lot of detail is really necessary. A reader doesn't need to know every detail of every movement in order to get into the story. I think some basic details (which basic research can provide) along with great storytelling (which The Effster can offer in spades) would make for a terrific series.

For me, the whole stem-cell treatment would be a bigger stumbling block. Would modern science make it less possible, in the manner described in Nightkill? I believe our faithful storyteller could make that still work.

fpw Wrote:Interesting take, there. Never looked at it that way.

Jake should, no doubt, come back!Big Grin
This post was last modified: 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM by t4terrific.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I hadn't looked at Jack and Jake that way either, but our new member makes some excellent points.
KRW   01-06-2011, 10:17 PM
fpw Wrote:Interesting take, there. Never looked at it that way.

Add me to the list that would like to see a return of Jake. jjmcculloch makes a very good distinction (excellent first post BTW jjmcculloch) in the life's and behaviors of two of your best characters. I'm also not saying you need umpteen books to tell Jakes story. I could see it being done in one, maybe two more books at the most.

It's always been my view that "Nightkill" left Jake in a very odd place in his life and that the story wasn't over. Like putting down a book to go to work when the main character is in the middle of a fight for his life. That feeling.Smile
fpw   01-06-2011, 11:29 PM
KRW Wrote:It's always been my view that "Nightkill" left Jake in a very odd place in his life and that the story wasn't over. Like putting down a book to go to work when the main character is in the middle of a fight for his life. That feeling.Smile
No, you're right. That story's not over.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
KRW   01-06-2011, 11:42 PM
fpw Wrote:No, you're right. That story's not over.

That sounds promising.Smile
jjmcculloch   01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Sounds promising indeed! Thank you! :bigsmile: