saynomore   09-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Machete was a one-joke trailer on the Planet Terror double-feature a few years back. Well, the one-joke has been extended to nearly two hours, and its seams are showing. Every sentence contains an anti-immigrant or anti-Mexican cliche--this is dialog that really pushes he evelope regarding the immigration reform issue, which is what this movie tries to approach both seriously and mockingly. The mock is hilarious; the serious slows down the movie with its preachy, touchy-feely lectures.

Hardworking illegals are portrayed as heroic; whites are portrayed as bigots, calling Mexicans lazy. The movie goes out of its way to portray every illegal either as a doctor, nurse, construction worker, day laborer, taco vendor, ice cream vendor--no job is left unturned. The running gag is that whites pick up the day laborers to do their septic tank work because they can't find anyone else to do the dirty work.

Well, Rodriquez, who has shown his polictics peripherally in most of his movies, including Spy Kids, wears his politics on his sleeve in this movie. The villain is a Texas senator (Robert De Niro) who wants to make all the illlegals build an electric fence around the border before sending them back to Mexico; but little does he realize that drug cartel money is paying for his election bid because the cartels stand to make more money if a border wall is built. There is a Minutemen type group (led by Don Johnson--remember him?)--killing illegals after saying "Welcome to the USA."

Laugh out loud funny for a few scenes, but the rest is grade B movie fare by an A movie director. Only thing I can recommend is Jessica Alba's nude scene, Lindsey Lohan's naked breast shot, and Michelle Rodriquez in low-rise jeans. For the immigration politics, I find the threads on this site much more funny. See it now if you like cliched politics and gratuitous violence.

Or rent it later, to slo-mo the chick scenes and ff the political soap-boxing.

AC

P.S. Steven Seagal plays the "Mexican" cartel kingpin. Now, that's funny. Also, my favorite joke: Cheech Marin offers Machete a Cuban cigar; Machete says, I prefer Mexican, to which Marin opens another cigar box filled with marijuana joints the size of cigars. Yes, they do light one up. Funny stuff. Me and two others in the sold out theater applauded with envy.
This post was last modified: 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM by saynomore.
The Mad American   09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
I felt about the same way about this movie, it had its moments and it was good to see Trejo get a leading role but it was a little heavy handed in its politics. I don't mind someone putting politics in a movie like this but try to be a little more subtle in the delivery.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

KRW   09-07-2010, 10:58 PM
saynomore Wrote:Machete was a one-joke trailer on the Planet Terror double-feature a few years back. Well, the one-joke has been extended to nearly two hours, and its seams are showing. Every sentence contains an anti-immigrant or anti-Mexican cliche--this is dialog that really pushes he evelope regarding the immigration reform issue, which is what this movie tries to approach both seriously and mockingly. The mock is hilarious; the serious slows down the movie with its preachy, touchy-feely lectures.

Hardworking illegals are portrayed as heroic; whites are portrayed as bigots, calling Mexicans lazy. The movie goes out of its way to portray every illegal either as a doctor, nurse, construction worker, day laborer, taco vendor, ice cream vendor--no job is left unturned. The running gag is that whites pick up the day laborers to do their septic tank work because they can't find anyone else to do the dirty work.

Well, Rodriquez, who has shown his polictics peripherally in most of his movies, including Spy Kids, wears his politics on his sleeve in this movie. The villain is a Texas senator (Robert De Niro) who wants to make all the illlegals build an electric fence around the border before sending them back to Mexico; but little does he realize that drug cartel money is paying for his election bid because the cartels stand to make more money if a border wall is built. There is a Minutemen type group (led by Don Johnson--remember him?)--killing illegals after saying "Welcome to the USA."

Laugh out loud funny for a few scenes, but the rest is grade B movie fare by an A movie director. Only thing I can recommend is Jessica Alba's nude scene, Lindsey Lohan's naked breast shot, and Michelle Rodriquez in low-rise jeans. For the immigration politics, I find the threads on this site much more funny. See it now if you like cliched politics and gratuitous violence.

AC

P.S. Steven Seagal plays the "Mexican" cartel kingpin. Now, that's funny. Also, my favorite joke: Cheech Marin offers Machete a Cuban cigar; Machete says, I prefer Mexican, to which Marin opens another cigar box filled with marijuana joints the size of cigars. Yes, they do light one up. Funny stuff. Me and two others in the sold out theater applauded with envy.

It's Mashety! Quit butchering the English language!Wink
Kenji   11-07-2010, 09:58 AM
saynomore Wrote:Machete was a one-joke trailer on the Planet Terror double-feature a few years back. Well, the one-joke has been extended to nearly two hours, and its seams are showing. Every sentence contains an anti-immigrant or anti-Mexican cliche--this is dialog that really pushes he evelope regarding the immigration reform issue, which is what this movie tries to approach both seriously and mockingly. The mock is hilarious; the serious slows down the movie with its preachy, touchy-feely lectures.

AC

Yesterday I saw Machete.

Gosh! What are gory! Well, that's okay. No problemo. Michelle Rodriquez was really cool. And, yes, I remember Don Johnson(from Miami Vice).

I enjoyed this one. Robert DeNiro's back to Taxi Driver! That was funny! Big Grin
Medusa   04-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I finally saw Machete; had to get it on Netflix because we kept missing it. It was a fun movie. Definitely cheesy but that's what made it so fun.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
longbowhunter   04-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Yeah...it was a stupid movie that was supposed to be stupid. That being said,I also thought it got a little too preachy and serious in parts. Lot of funny moments,but the joke was starting to wear thin by the end.

Hiyo Goddamn Silver!!!!