Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 7   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2004, 10:43 AM
[Ken, you'll find WHO'S NEXT at any halfway decent music store, but make sure you get the expanded version with an extra CD of a contemporaneous concert by the (ahem) lads. God, could they rock. I only saw the Who live once, at the Buffalo War Memorial in 1975 (opening act: Toots and the Maytalls!), but jeez... still among my fondest concert memories. What other band could open the show with their =first single= ("I Can't Explain"), get the crowd on their feet, and lift matters to a higher plane from there? Mercy!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Well done, Biggles. You rock! But now for a tougher one... In which Who songs does the title of the tune =not= appear in the lyrics? (Instrumentals don't count, blast yer warty hide...)
jimbow8   04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well done, Biggles. You rock! But now for a tougher one... In which Who songs does the title of the tune =not= appear in the lyrics? (Instrumentals don't count, blast yer warty hide...)
If this were a question about Zeppelin, there would be MANY of them.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2004, 11:00 AM
That's true, Jimbow. But unlike Plant, Pete usually kept his mind on his work. Big Grin
jimbow8   04-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:[Ken, you'll find WHO'S NEXT at any halfway decent music store, but make sure you get the expanded version with an extra CD of a contemporaneous concert by the (ahem) lads. God, could they rock. I only saw the Who live once, at the Buffalo War Memorial in 1975 (opening act: Toots and the Maytalls!), but jeez... still among my fondest concert memories. What other band could open the show with their =first single= ("I Can't Explain"), get the crowd on their feet, and lift matters to a higher plane from there? Mercy!
Ken, beware of any cut of Won't Get Fooled Again that actually says "Extended Cut." I bought a greatest hits entitled Who's Better, Who's Best which says "Extended Cut" but is actually only about 3:30 min instead of the normal 7:00min -ish (?) album version. That pissed me off immensely when I first bought it. I wound up buying [U]Who's Next[/U] later anyway.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Sounds like typical record company idiocy, Jimbow. I'd try to count up Who compilations since MEATY BEATY BIG AND BOUNCY, but life is short and I grow old. Is there another band whose catalog has been recycled as relentlessly as the Who's? The Beach Boys, maybe?
Biggles   04-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well done, Biggles. You rock! But now for a tougher one... In which Who songs does the title of the tune =not= appear in the lyrics? (Instrumentals don't count, blast yer warty hide...)

I don't believe "Baba O'Riley" is ever mentioned in said song. "Quadrophenia" is not entirely instrumental, is it? I'll have to think on others. How many are there?

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Biggles   04-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Thanks Biggles. But where can I actually get a copy? Online?

Ken - doesn't get out much - V.

"Who's Next" is like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Aqualung"..any record, sorry music, store (forgot myself there) that doesn't always have it in stock doesn't deserve your business.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2004, 12:10 PM
[QUAD is an opera like TOMMY. Many good songs, some instrumentals. As to how many Who songs don't have the title in the actual lyrics...well, Biggles, I'm not sure myself. I'd say at least 5, les than 10. Time running out on my rented computer, will get back to you on Sunday. Keep rocking!
Scott Miller   04-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Biggles Wrote:Don't you mean Baba O'Riley?

Of course. Back in middle school my friends and I used to sneer at anyone who called the song Teenage Wasteland; it was a litmus test to determine whether someone was cool enough to hang with us. We were obviously quite mature for our age.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 7