Pages (2): 1 2   
patience   01-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Hey all,

I've been looking for some good movies as of late but cant seem to find some solid opinions.

War movies based on WW1,WW2 and Vietnam tickle my fancy so any recommendations send my way.

Oh, and I like action
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-29-2010, 10:13 AM
patience Wrote:Hey all,

I've been looking for some good movies as of late but cant seem to find some solid opinions.

War movies based on WW1,WW2 and Vietnam tickle my fancy so any recommendations send my way.

Oh, and I like action

This one is not an actioneer, but it is =way= out of the beaten foxhole: Richard Attenborough's WWI-as-a-Musical-Comedy, OH! WHAT A LOVELY WAR.

And oh, yeah--welcome to the board!
Kenji   01-29-2010, 10:14 AM
patience Wrote:Hey all,

Oh, and I like action

Tropic Thunder. Big Grin

Okay, seriously.... my favorite war movies are.....

Letters from Iwo Jima

Black Book

Soldier Of Orange

Where Eagles Dare

Kelly's Heroes

Glory
t4terrific   01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I love "Apocalypse Now" and "Full Metal Jacket". Off the top of my head, those are my favorite.
Kenji   01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
t4terrific Wrote:I love "Apocalypse Now" and "Full Metal Jacket". Off the top of my head, those are my favorite.

Apocalypse Now!!! Oh, how could I forget it...? :o
Sigokat   01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Saving Private Ryan

Blackhawk Down (yes its not WWI, WWII, or Vietnam, but the action was good even if it was somewhat inaccurate in certain aspects)

Hamburger Hill

Heartbreak Ridge

Bravo Two Zero (Operation Desert Storm)

Most modern war movies are very anti-war, but I watch them for the action, even if Hollywood is trying to subtly suggest I'm a baby killer.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Brian   01-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Saving Private Ryan

Von Ryan's Express

The Great Escape

Bridge Over the River Kwai

The Longest Day

While some of the newer movies have all the action now, I prefer mostly the older classics for war films.

There is no wise man without fault
Ken Valentine   01-30-2010, 12:03 AM
patience Wrote:War movies based on WW1,WW2 and Vietnam tickle my fancy so any recommendations send my way.
A BRIDGE TOO FAR -- 1977. It's about the failed attempt to capture bridges in Holland which would lead to the German heartland.

Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Edward Fox, Elliot Gould, Gene Hackman -- an all-star cast.

It's historically accurate.

THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN -- 1969

Another all-star cast, including Michael Caine, Lawrence Olivier, Christopher Plummer, Ralph Richardson, Robert Shaw. . . .

Ken V.
Yeratel   01-30-2010, 01:30 AM
I like period pieces, like Zulu! (also starring Michael Caine), and the Sharpe's Rifles series starring Sean Bean.
Ken Valentine   01-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Yeratel Wrote:I like period pieces, like Zulu! (also starring Michael Caine), and the Sharpe's Rifles series starring Sean Bean.
INTRODUCING Michael Caine. Big Grin

And yes, that was a good movie even though it wasn't very historically accurate.

(But then I get a little too nit picky.)

Ken V.
Pages (2): 1 2